^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DEVON FARMS CONNECTED WITH THE BULLEID GROUP OF FAMILIES

 

Use the scroll  bar to view the complete page

 

 

ASHREIGNEY


Over Densham
Wadland
Redland

Placed in Trust in 1574 by Henry Bulhead for the benefit of his son Arckenwall. Densham and Redland still exist. (See Parish Map on Page 5)

BROADWOOD KELLY

Nethercott

John Bulleid was farming here in 1841 and his son, William (1809 - 1881), in 1851, following his father's death.

CHITTLEHAMPTON


Snydols

Occupied by George Bulleid (1781-1869) from 1810 to 1815 and possibly longer.

COLEBROOK


Crispin

George Bulleid paid Land Tax in 1779.

DOLTON


Arscott

Samuel Bulleid (b.1771), butcher, occupied Arscott 1804/7 and 1809/30. He was the tenant of John Clevland.

*He was the father of Ann Bulleid who is mentioned in The Lyne Family of Dolton

DOWLAND


West Upcott

Samuel Bulleid (b.1771), butcher, occupied West Upcott 1806/18, where he was the tenant of Hugh Mallet.

*He was the father of Ann Bulleid who is mentioned in The Lyne Family of Dolton

HATHERLEIGH


West Fishleigh

Mentioned in the Will of Nicholas Bulled dated 1673.

HATHERLEIGH


Pearce's Tenament

Owned by John Bulleid (1737-1820) and bequeathed to his son John.

HOLLACOMBE


Narracott

John Bolehed is named in a Deed of 1525 and Nicholas Bolehede in a Deed of 1546. Placed in Trust in 1574 by Henry Bulhead for the benefit of his son Arckenwall. The farm still exists. (See Parish Map on Page 5)

HOLLACOMBE


Wood Roberts

Named by Samuel Bulleid in his Will of 1726. Still exists. (See Parish Map)

IDDESLEIGH


Bullhead Farm

Occupied by William de Boleshead in 1332. Iddesleigh is four miles west of Winkleigh. Jack Bulleid, former family historian, regarded Bullhead Farm as the origin of the family. The farm still exists and grows mixed crops.

INWARDLEIGH

Great Stewardstone

Stewardstone

Farmed by John Bulleid (b. 1843) in 1871 (70 acres) and 1881 (100 acres). John Bulleid was still farming here between 1881 and 1891 and beyond. The farm still exists. John was brought up on Herdwick Farm, Winkleigh.

MARIANSLEIGH


Milltown Farm

Named in proceedings before Justices in 1352. Still exists.

MARIANSLEIGH


Tidlake

Owned by Edward Bulled in 1673 when it was mentioned in the Will of Nicholas Bulled, Tidlake still exists.

MARIANSLEIGH


Hobby House

Owned by brothers Amos and Robert Bulled in 1699 and named in Thorne v Bulled. Still exists.

NORTH TAWTON


Hayne

George Bulleid (1781-1869) took on apprentices for Hayne in 1819 and 1820. He also farmed Staddon in North Tawton (see below). Hayne still exists and lies about two miles east northeast of Staddon.

NORTH TAWTON


Staddon

Staddon is not to be confused with Stabdon in Winkleigh. George Bulleid (1781-1869) occupied Staddon from 1818 to 1851 and possibly beyond. He was an Overseer of the Poor and took on apprentices for Staddon. The farm still exists and is now the home of a business offering horse riding holidays worldwide.

ROMANSLEIGH


Barton of Honnington

Nicholas Bulled left all his wood growing on Barton to his daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Spurle, when he died in 1673. It is now called Honiton Barton and is about a mile northwest of George Nympton.

ROMANSLEIGH

North Kingstrewe
South Kingstrewe

Nicholas Bulled left these two tenements to his nephew, Robert, when he died in 1673.

ROMANSLEIGH


Odam

Mentioned in the Will of John Bullied, who died in 1650, when he left all his hay to his wife, Elizabeth. The farm still exists.

ROMANSLEIGH

 Pixyweek

Owned by brothers Amos and Robert Bulled in 1699 and named in Thorne v Bulled.

ROMANSLEIGH

Whitehouse

Mentioned in the Will of John Bullied, who died in 1650, when he left his ‘reeke of wood standing in the court’ to his wife, Elizabeth. The farm still exists.

SOUTH MOLTON

Bridgham

John Bulleid bequeathed his interest in Bridgham to his son Nicholas when he died in 1628. Nicholas then left it to his kinsman, Edward, and Edward’s son, John, in 1673.


SOUTH MOLTON

Alswerhill

John Bulleid bequeathed his interest in Alswerhill to his son Nicholas when he died in 1628. Nicholas then left it to his kinsman, Edward, and Edward’s son, John, in 1673. Alswear is a hamlet near Mariansleigh.


WEMBWORTHY

Lane End

Wembworthy is a village close to Winkleigh. Richard (1793-1883) and Elizabeth Bulleid’s twins, John and James, were born at Lane End in August 1828 and died within two months.

WINKLEIGH

Bruckland

Richard Bulleid (1656-1724) left his interest in this estate to his wife during her lifetime, then to his daughter Pascow Pennington and her children.

WINKLEIGH

Clapper ( Clapperdown)

The first mention of Clapper is in 1813 when Thomas (1809-1813) is buried from there, so his parents Richard (1763-1840) and Elizabeth must have been tenants on the farm. James Bulleid, son of Richard and his first wife Thomasine, was living at Clapper with his wife Elizabeth in 1815 when their firstborn, Mary Ann, was christened from there. James and Elizabeth were still there at the time of the 1851 Census, when they occupied Cottage No.1 and he was a husbandman. The property was owned by the Rev. Peter Johnson in 1846. (See Parish Map on Page 5)

WINKLEIGH

Croft (Cruft)

Cruft first appears in the Will of James Bulhead (1676-1726), when he leaves his interest in the estate to his nephew, Thomas, following the death of his wife. Thomas (1706-1791) employed apprentices for the estate in 1742 and 1744. The estate was owned by the Rev. Tremayne in 1782, when Thomas paid Land Tax on it.

WINKLEIGH

East Collacott

George Bulleid (1740-1815) paid Land Tax of £4-0-3d. in 1782 when the property was owned by H A Fellowes.

WINKLEIGH

Heckapen

Owned by the Rev. Henry Hawkins Tremayne and occupied by John Bulleid (1737-1820) who paid Land Tax in 1782. (See Parish Map on Page 5)

WINKLEIGH

Herdwick

Owned by John Hearle Tremayne and occupied by William Bulleid (b. 1799) between 1836 and 1846 and beyond. In the1846 tithe apportionment the farm comprised 57 acres including coarse pasture and arable land, 3 orchards, meadows, timber and garden:
Backer Plot – coarse pasture & arable
Western Great Close – arable
Eastern Great Close – arable
Coarse Plot - coarse pasture & arable
Western Beaconclose - coarse pasture & arable
Eastern Beaconclose - coarse pasture & arable
Beacon Hill - coarse pasture & arable
Little Herdwick Moor - coarse pasture & arable
Great Herdwick Moor - coarse pasture & arable
Splat – arable
Furze Close – arable
Mowhay Plot – orchard & garden
Grove – pasture
Part Grove – timber
Kitchen Close – arable occasionally
House, Barton etc. etc.
Back Orchard
Little Close – arable
Great Orchard
Orchard Hill – arable occasionally
Pond Hill – meadow
Long Meadow


Under the Tithe Apportionment of 1846, William Bulleid had to pay £2-9-11d to the Vicar and £3-13-6d to the Appropriators.
Herdwick still exists. (See Parish Map on Page 5)


WINKLEIGH


Lifton

Owned by John Hearle Tremayne and occupied by William Bulleid (b. 1799) at the time of the Tithe Apportionment of 1846. The farm comprised 27 acres of coarse pasture, arable land, garden and orchard. Under the Apportionment, William had to pay 9/9d to the Vicar and 13/6d to the Appropriators.

WINKLEIGH


Middle Collacott

Owned by H A Fellowes and occupied by George Bulleid (1740-1815) who paid Land Tax between 1794 and 1805.

WINKLEIGH

Popehouse

Owned by the Rev. Henry Hawkins Tremayne and occupied by John Bulleid (1737-1820) who paid Land Tax in 1782.

WINKLEIGH

Quarry Park

James Bulhead (1676-1726) left his interest in Quarry Park to his niece, Mary (1712-1754).

WINKLEIGH

Rattenbury's, Westwood

Grace Bulleid bequeathed her interest in this tenement to her son Richard Bird in 1821.

WINKLEIGH


Stabdon

More than 280 acres including coarse pasture and arable land, nursery and orchards.


In 1725/6, Samuel Bulleid left his messuage (dwelling house) and tenement (land) called Stabdon in Winckleigh to his son, Samuel. The inventory of his estate refers to “Chattle estate in moiety called Stapdon - £240.” This description shows that the Stabdon estate was divided into two parts (‘moiety’). We know from Land Tax records that from 1788 to 1815 Stabdon was owned by the Rev. Henry Hawkins Tremayne, at which time it was farmed by Samuel’s grandson, George (1740-1815). He paid Land Tax of £5-16-10d. in 1788. George’s eldest son, Samuel, paid Land Tax on Stabdon from 1816 to 1832, when the owner was still the Rev. Tremayne. Samuel died in 1839. In the 1846 tithe apportionment, Stabdon was owned by John Hearle Tremayne (who also owned Herdwick) and occupied by John Bulleid, probably Samuel’s younger brother. John was still there in 1850 when he was listed in White’s Directory of Devon. John died at the Staddon estate of his brother George on 6 February 1859. Stabdon still exists as a dairy farm. (See Parish Map on Page 5)

WINKLEIGH

West Coulson

John Bulleid was the tenant of Lord Rolle in 1808. He took in apprentices from 1810 to 1820. This is possibly the same John who was later at Stabdon.

WINKLEIGH

Bulleid Mead

A curiosity, listed by family historian Jack Bulleid as being owned by John T Johnson between 1788 and 1832, possibly beyond, but he does not record a Bulleid as occupant or owner.
 
It is interesting to compare the fortunes of two of the descendants of Thomas (1639-1702) and Grace:- their son Samuel, the eldest following the death in infancy of his brother, acquired a moiety in the Stabdon estate and an interest in Wood Roberts. He left Stabdon to his son, Samuel, who employed apprentices including his cousin Thomas. Stabdon then passed to his son, George, who also took on apprentices. Four of George’s sons did well: Samuel, and then John were at Stabdon; George had Staddon and Hayne; and William had Herdwick and Lifton.- Nicholas became a carpenter. His son Samuel was a butcher as, in turn, was his son, Thomas. His son, Richard, ended his days in the Union Workhouse, Great Torrington. At least two of Richard’s sons, James and Richard, were apprenticed at the age of eight. Richard subsequently emigrated with his family to Canada, as did one of James’ sons, Thomas.

 

























 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page