Abbotsham, a scattered village nearly two miles W of Bideford, has in its parish 414 souls and 1758 acres of land, extending westward to the shore of Bideford, or Barnstaple Bay, and including the hamlets of Shepperton, Coombe Walter and Rickerdown. E. H. Vidal Esq is lord of the manor, but Dr, Heywood, Mr Richard Turner, Richard Best Esq and a few smaller owners have estates here.
The church (St Helen) is a small antique structure with a low tower containing four bells. The vicarage, valued in 1831 at £170 is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Sanford who has 36 acres of glebe and is about to erect a new vicarage house.