From Magna Britannia Volume 6
by Daniel and Samuel Lysons
Published in 1822
ASHBURY, in the hundred of Black-Torrington, and in the deanery of Okehampton, lies about 5 miles from Hatherleigh and 7 from Okehampton. The manor belonged to the family of Ashbury, in the fourteenth century; afterwards successively to those of Speccot and Walter. It is now the property and seat of John Morth Woollcombe, Esq. whose ancestor became possessed of it in consequence of a marriage (in 1685) with the heiress of Walter, (who had previously married Stuckey.) In the parish church are monuments of the families of Walter and Woollcombe.
The church of Ashbury belonged to the priory of Launceston: the rectory is now in the gift of the crown. There is no endowed school in this parish, but the children are educated in a school at North-Lew, conducted on Dr. Bell's system, and supported by subscription.