Ashcombe, a scattered village and parish, near the source of a rivulet, three miles E of Chudleigh, has only 297 souls and about 22000 acres of land, including about 500 acres of waste and plantations. Sir Robert Newman is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.
The church was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1825 at the cost of about £1000. It is a neat cruciform structure, with a tower and three bells and a handsome east window of stained glass. The rectory is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev.W. H. Palk MA who has 31 acres of glebe and a good thatched residence with tasteful grounds. The tithes were commuted were commuted in 1842 for £242 per annum.
In 1802, Robert Moalle left £3 a year for "Schooling poor children". The National School for this parish and Mamhead has a house for the teachers which was built by the lord of the manor.