The connection of the people named below with Instow lies in the fact that in the return of Owners of Land (1873), they gave Ashreigney as their address. This does not imply that all of the land owned by them lay in the Parish of Ashreigney.
White's Directory of 1878 gives the acreage of the parish as 5663 acres. At this time J. G. Johnson MP, was lord of the manor.
The list was prepared as a valuation for calculating the Parish Rate and Poor Rate payable on each property.* Owners of land less than 1 acre were not included nor were holders of Long (99 year) Leases. Valuation, based on gross estimated rental, was carried out at local level and was largely a matter of guesswork, there being no standardisation of approach to valuation across the county. Waste and Common land was not included.
*Property valuation remains to the present time the basis of assessment for raising money to be spent locally - known today as Council Tax.