^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BEAFORD IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

"BEAFORD, a pleasant village, on the eastern acclivity of the Torridge valley, 5 miles S.E. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 713 souls, and 3335 acres of land, including Kiverly, Woolly, Upcott, and a number of scattered farm houses, &c. J.H. Furse, Esq., is lord of the manor, but Woolly belongs to Sir T.D. Acland, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells; and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 15s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £233, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Wood, B.A., who has 77A. 2R. 15P. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1850. The Baptists and Bible Christians have small chapels here. The parish clerk has the free use of a house and 6 acres of land, given at an early period. There were formerly chapels at Upcott and Woolly."

 

A quiet corner of the village - this little lane leads to the church

The lane leading to the church in Beaford 2016.

© Richard J. Brine

 

RESIDENTS

Thomas Ashton, grocer

William Ashton, grocer

Henry Hammett, blacksmith

Arthur Heard, plumber and seedsman

John Heard, timber merchant etc.

Robert Heard victualler and gunsmith

William Heard blacksmith

William Marshall, maltster

William Snell, maltster and miller

William Weeks, butcher

John Westcott, grocer and schoolmaster

William Westcott victualler "The Globe"

Rev. Charles Wood, BA, The rectory.

FARMERS

John Arnold

William Leverton

Thomas Snell

Mrs. Snell

Nicholas Webber

SERGEMAKERS

William Ashland

Thomas Isaac

John Mippill

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page