^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BICKINGTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"BICKINGTON, a scattered village on the banks of the Lemon rivulet, and on the Exeter road, 3 miles N.E. of Ashburton, has in its parish 1375 acres and 374 inhabitants. The manor was dismembered many years ago, and the soil belongs to various freeholders.

 

Here is a serge manufactory, employing 150 hands. Wrigwell estate has been held by the Bickford family about 600 years. The Church (St. James,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburton. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £110, and the rectorial for £115. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the latter, and Mr. Richard Skinner is the lessee. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel; and the poor have £2 from Plymouth Corporation, as a gift of Benjamin Baron.

 

RESIDENTS

Mrs. Eliza Bickford, Adelaide Cottage

Mr Francis J. D. Bickford, Prince Cottage

Edward Butterworth, Factory Manager

Richard Caunter, serge and blanket manufacturer

William Christophers, mason

Henry Christophers, wheelwright

Mary Christophers, victualler, Jolly Sailors

Thomas Cox, carpenter

William Cutch, shoemaker

William Kenshole, beer seller

George Mann, shopkeeper

Mr Mould, Lea Cottage

John Pearse Shopkeeper, Lime Burner and Beerhouse

John Smerdon, shoemaker and parish clerk

Thomas Smerdon, tailor

Charles Steer, shopkeeper and smith.

FARMERS

John Bickford, Barton

John Bickford jun, Wrigwell

William French, Chipley

John Harris

Thomas Mann

G. Mann

Stephen Nosworthy

Andrew Rowe, Yew

John Soper

Thomas Tozer

John  Willie, Herebeare

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page