|BLACK TORRINGTON IN WHITE'S 1850 DIRECTORY
Black Torrington is a considerable village in the picturesque valley of the River Torridge, 5½ miles W by N of Hatherleigh. It has in its parish1252 soule and about 7300 acrfes of land, rishing in bold hills on the south, and including 400 acres of woodland, 708 acres of wastes and commons;the hamlets of East and West Chilla, Middlecott and Gorford Ley and many acatteredhouses.
The manor has been held by the mayne, Zouch, Harris and other families, and is now the property of Lord Ashburton. Coham was for many generations, the property and seat of the Coham and now the property of W. B. Coham Esq. who occasionally visits the ancient mansion, which is encompassed by fertile pastures and rich woodland. The Risden, Hayne, Braund, Molesworth, Woolcombe and other families, have estates in the parish, mostly freehold.
The church has a tower and six bells and the living is a rectory. Lord Poklitomore is patron and the Rev. John Penlease is the incumbent but resides abroad. The Rectgory House is a commodious mansion with pleasant grounds and the glebe is 191 acres.
The baptists and Bible Christians have chapels in the village; and the latter have another at East Chilla, nearly 3 miles from the village. Here is a National School; and in 1849, John Daw Esq left a house and garden for the occupation of the master. West Chiolla Moor was enclosed in 1849, at the cost of only £108. Other commons are about to be enclosed.
In 1665Peter Speccott gave £180 to be invested in land for the poor of Holsworthy andf Black Torrington.
John Braund, schoolmaster
Edward Chapman, maltster
Joseph Chapman, maltster
John Dart, blacksmith
James Gilbert, auctioneer, registrar and agent for the Naval Imsurance Co.
Richard Hockin victualler, the Pack Horse
James Osborne. viktualler, the Union Inn
Arthur Owen, surgeon
The Misses Peacock, Gentlewomen
George S Risdon, corn miller. Haynes
James Vanstone, carpenter
Elizabeth Vanstone, Post office
Veake, Rev. Westcott Harris BA, curate
James Gilbert, Coham House
JH. Tanton, Totley