^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BRATTON CLOVELLY IN 1939 FROM KELLY'S DIRECTORY

 

Bratton Clovelly is a village and extensive parish, 3½ miles south from Ashbury and North Lew Station on the North Cornwall branch of the Southern Railway and 8½ west-by-south from Okehampton, in the South Molton Division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Lifton, rural district, county court district and rural deanery  of Okehampton, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter.

Electricity is available. Water is supplied from a reservoir and from village pumps.

The church of St Mary the Virgin is a building of stone, in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a fine embattled western tower with a turret, containing 6 bells, all cast in 1767, and a clock,  presented in 1895 by Mrs. Manning: The nave is early decorated, dating from about 1375: the chancel and base of the tower are early English: the font is Norman: two windows in the vestry contain ancient stained glass, including the arms of the Burnaby family: The other windows have modern stained glass as memorials to Thomas Ellis Manning and his relatives: the window in the tower is a memorial to Oliver Veale Pengelly, formerly of this parish: in 1891-2 the church was thoroughly restored and re-seated in oak and a carved oak pulpit erected at a cost of about £2,000, by the late Mrs. Manning, who also presented a richly-carved alabaster reredos, and relaid the chancel floor with highly-polished Devonshire and Irish marble as a memorial to her sister, Mrs. Mary Yonge, who died in 1891: the screen was removed in 1829: the nave will seat 180 persons. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £538, with residence, in the gift of the bishop of Exeter, and held since 1920 by the Rev. Robert Kinninmouth Bennett. There are two Methodist Chapels here, one in the village and one at Boasley.

A cattle market is held once a month. Messrs William and Thomas Brown, Mrs Vick and Mrs. Colin James are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly clay and various loams; subsoil;, clay and shillit. Wheat, oats and barley are grown but the land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 7,254 acres; the population in 1931 was 457.

By Local Government Board order, a detached part of this parish, was transferred to Broadwood Widger, in the Launceston Union, March 25th 1885, for civil purposes.

Post, money order and telegraph Office. Letters from Okehampton.

Post and telegraph Office, Broadbury. Letters from Okehampton. North Lew is the nearest money order office.

Police Station.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bennett, Rev, Robert Kinninmouth (Rector), Rectory

Dane, Commander Arthur Maurice Yate, The Bees, Broadbury

Fitch, William Frederick, Little Metherell

Heygate, Rev. Canon Reginald Basil C, Domons

Lett, R. King, Metherell Moor House

Sansom, Benjamin, Ellacombe

 

COMMERCIAL

Early closing day, Thursday

Abell, Cyril, farmer, Headstone

Blight, Augustus James, farmer, Ellacott

Bond, George, farmer , Brockscombe

Breyley, Sidney, saddler, West Burrow

Brown, T, farmer, Eversfield & Home Farms

Brown, William, farmer and landowner, Calehouse

Bulsdon, Richard, farmer, Grindhill

Clovelly Hotel (prop. William George Lintern)

Cutland, Albert J, farmer & parish clerk, Court Barton

Dawe, Samuel, farmer, North Wrixhill

Dennis, George, farmer, Higher Fursden

Down, William, farmer, Lower Voaden

Elworthy, John, farmer, Langworthy, Broadbury

Evely, Horace J, grocer

Fielding, Leroy, farmer, Bratton Town

Forsayeth, Richard Martin, MBCS Eng; LRCP Lond.,. Physician & Surgeon

Gimblett, Wilfred Henry, farmer, South Barton

Gratton, Thomas, farmer, East Reed

Gratton, William, farmer, Metherell Farm

Hammon, John, farmer, Blackabroom

Hamlyn, Walter, farmer, Blagrove

Hearn, Philip Henry, farmer and landowner, Swaddledown

Herrod, William George, farmer, South Reed

Hill, John, farmer & blacksmith, Post office, Broadbury

Hillman, Alfred Henry, farmer, Risdon

James, Colin, farmer, Bannadon

Jones, Lawson, farmer, Wrixel

Jordan, Charles, farmer, Redstone

Lovell, Ellen (Mrs.) farmer, Higher Voaden

Lovell, Robert, farmer, Mendes

Laxton, Cecil V. farmer, Chelmsworthy

Luxton, Fred, farmer & landowner, Hillside

Medland, Wesley S, shopkeeper

Napper, John, farmer, Southville

Paige, William, farmer, Moorstone

Roberts, Edwin, farmer, Bucketts

Skidmore, Francis Albert, carpenter

Vallance, Bessie (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Northcombe

Vanstone, Edwin, farmer, Grindhill

Westlake, Elizabeth (Miss), farmer and landowner, Grindhill

Wills, Victor, farmer, Bratton Mill

Wivell, Samuel, farmer, Burrow

Wonnacott, Walt, farmer, Fursdon

Wood, Percival Frank, farmer and landowner, Boasley

Woodman, William, farmer, Littleburrow

Woodrow, John, farmer, North Breazle

Woodrow, Alfred, farmer, Brockscombe

Wooldridge, Alfred, farmer, Broadcroft

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page