Bratton Fleming is a parish with a village standing on an acclivity, with a station (opened in 1898) on the Lynton and Barnstaple section of of the Southern railway, 7 miles east-north-east from Barnstaple, in the Barnstaple division of the county, hundred and petty-sessional division of Braunton, rural district of Barnstaple, rural deanery of Shirwell, Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter.
At Chelfham, in this parish, on the line of 1897, is a viaduct built of Marland brick, consisting of eight arches rising from stone piers, seventy feet above the railway.; it is about 400 feet long and opened 25th of February 1897 and cost £6500. There is also a station at Chelfham.
The line in continuation between Bratton Fleming and Blackmoor Gate crosses six valleys, viz., Southcott, Nightacot; Sprecot, Hunnacott, North Thorne and Westland Pound; at the last place there is a station called Blackmoor.
The Church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower, with pinnacles, clock and a stained glass altar window, containing 6 bells cast in 1792; there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1673.In the churchyard is a granite cross erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War.
There is a Baptist chapel here , another at Stowford, also a chapel for the United Methodists. The Church Houses, six in number, stand in one block and are the property of the Church , Rector and Churchwardens. The Village Hall, of which the Rector is the sole manager, and the patrons of the living are the Trustees, was the old church school. Basil Thomas Fanshawe Esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The area is 5888 acres of land and 5 of water. The population in 1921 was 486.