^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BRAUNTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY  OF 1850

 

St Brannock's Church, Braunton

St Brannocks Church, Braunton

© Richard J. Brine

Braunton, the large ancient village which gives name to this Hundred and petty sessional Division, is situated on the banks of a rivulet about 2 miles from the sea coast and the Taw estuary, and 5 miles WNW of Barnstaple. Its extensive parish contains 2274 inhabitants and 9971 acres of land; extending to the sea coast and and the estuary of the Taw, and including the scattered hamlets of Saunton, Lobb, Nethercott, Lnoll, Winsham, Halsinger, Pippacott and Boode. Near the sea is a large tract of land covered with sand, called Braunton Burrow, abounding in rabbits, and having two lighthouses for the the security of mariners navigating the Bristol Channel, or crossing Barnstaple Bar.

The principal manors in the parish and their owners are

Braunton Abbots, the Earl of Devon

Braunton Arundell, George A. D. Bassett Esq

Bere charters, Sir B. P Wrey

Buckland House, C. H. Webber Wsq

Saunton, the heirsa of the late Colonel Cleveland

Braunton was an ancient demesne of the Crown and was given by Richard I to Odo, ancestor of the Carews. Henry III gave two-thirds of it to Clive Abbey in Somersetshire, In the reign of Charles I, it belonged to Sir Richard Reynell from whom it passed to the Courtenays,

 

The interior of St Brannock's Church, built without pillars

The interior of St Brannock's Church - built without pillars

© Richard J. Brine

 

The church (St. Brannock) is a large antique structure, remarkable for having no pillars. The tower contains six bells and is crowned by a spire.  The vicarage is in the patronage of the dean and Chapter of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. J. W. R.  Landon. The patrons are lords of the manor of Braunton-Dean, and appropriators of the great tithes, which are leased to C. Trelawney Esq. . Here is an Independent Chapel which was built in 1836 and has a house for the minister, erected in 1848. Schools are attached to the church and chapel.

 

The Charity School was founded by William Challoner, who in 1667, left about £4 50 for first purposes. Of this sum, £400 was laid out in the purchase of a house and 36 acres of land at Georgeham, now let out for £33 per annum. The remaining £50 was laid out in purchasing one equal moiety of 32 acres of land  at Morthoe, now let out for £2, half of which belongs to this school, which has also 10 acres of land, called Goad Gate, left in 1690 by Arthur Acland, who also left 40s a year to a school mistress, for teaching twelve young children to read. The schoolroom is near the church and the master derives upwards of  £65 a year from the endowment and for this he teaches reading, writing and arithmetic to all the children of the parish sent to him by the trustees. The schoolmistress's annuity is paid out of an estate called Chapel Hill, which is also charged with £3 per annum for distribution of bread among the poor, by the wills of Arthur and Richard Acland.

 

The poor parishioners have £10 10s a year, as the interest of £50 left by Nicholas beare on 1713, for schooling 12 poor girls. The Overseers distribute 45s yearly among the poor as the interest of £60 left by Amos Pollard and henry Incledon. For the relief of poor widows and orphans, Ann Commyns, in 1767 left £60, which was vested in the purchase of £100 three per cent Consols. In 1809, Thomas Bower left £100 to be invested for the relief of the poor parishioners. .

 

                                                                                                                    

RESIDENTS

Franics Alvin, Lower Boode

Mr Joseph Brinley

William Chugg, saddler

James Darracott, tanner

Drake, Captain Robert H, Prospect Lodge

Richard Dyer Gemt, Bloomfield Cottage

Mr Robert Dyer

Mr William Fosse

George gammon, carrier

Edward Harris, lime burner

Mrs. E. Harris

William Harris, gent, Millbrook

Thomas Jennings, Buckland Mills

Rev, Samuel C. Kent (Independent)

Rev, J. W. Ready Landon

Stephen Lane, Surgeon

Mr John Law

Thomas May, tinner and brazier

Mr. Edward Mock

Mr Thomas mortimer

Anthony Nutt, edge-tool maker

William Paddison, corn miller

Mrs. E. Parkin

Josiah P. Pick, surgeon

Mrs A Pilcher

Thomas reed, carrier

George Robins, lathe and render

Mr John Rooke

Ephraim Squire, tinner

George Symonds

J. Tucker, warrener

Thomas Tardrew Esq

William Vickery, relieving officer

Henry Warren, cooper

Charlkes Henry Webber Esq, Buckland House

Arthur Webber Esq,

Philip Western, coal dealer

Widlake and Dummett, maltsters

Thomas Willis, corn miller

Woalds and Kent, serge, blankets etc., manufacturers, Acorn Mill

INNS AND TAVERNS

Barnstaple Inn, Maria Evans

Black  Horse, Thomas Clarke

Mariner's Arms, John Gould

New Inn, Mary Elliott

Red Lion, William Gammopn

Beerhouse, William Bale

ACADEMIES

Richard Cridge

Amelia Gregory

Elizabeth Passmore

John Passmore

Elizabeth Sloat

BLACKSMITHS

Richard Edwards

Robert Evans

James Tamlyn

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

Hednry Martin

John Mock

John Reed

Thomas Reed

William Reed

Charles Webber

BUTCHERS

John Drake

Joseph Lane

William Widlake

CARPENTERS & WHEELWRIGHTS

John Atkins & Partner

James Dunn

John Dunn

Edward Gammon

JOhn Hartnoll

Thomas Passmore

John Sherwill

John Williams

FARMERS

William Andrew

Joseph Atkins

Berry Avery

George Avery

Thomas Bidder

James brailey

George Chichester

John Conibear

George Cousins

Gerorge H Day

Samuel Day

John Dyer

Richard Dyer

William Dyer

Henry Elliott

Robert Evans

John Fairchild

Robert Gordon

William Gould

John Hammond

William Harris

George P. Hartnoll

Robert hartnoll

Richard heddon

Samuel Hodge

]William Hodge

Thpomas Howe

William Howe

James Huxtable

Richard Iles

Richard Jones

William Jones

Richard Jury

 J & W Lovering

Henry passmore

John Peard

 J & T Perryman

George Pike

John Robins

Philip Scamp

William Smith

John Snow

John Snow jun.

Robert Symonds

George Tucker

John Tucker

GROCERS &c

Thomas Darracott

Robert Dummett

William Huxtable

Susan Lock

Thomas Milton

George pettle

MASTER MARINERS

William Cory

Thomas hammond

William heddon

George Lamprey

Richard manley

George Reed

MASONS

Samuel hammond

John Reed

Samuel Reed

William Reed

TAILORS

John Clogg

Thomas Darracott

William Gammon

John Hunt

John Webber

POST OFFICE AT WILLIAM HUXTABLE'S

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page