^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BRIDGERULE IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF  1939

Bridgerule (formerly Bridgerenald) is a village partly on the river Tamar, 5 mile west from Holsworthy, 1½ north-east from Whitstone and Bridgerule Station on a branch of the Southern Railway and 6½ east from Bude. For Civil purposes it is divided into East and West Bridgerule, but it is one parish for ecclesiastical purposes; it is in the Tavistock division of the of the county, Hundred of Black Torrington, petty sessional , rural  district, county court  district and rural deanery of Holsworthy, archdeaconry of Totnes and dioceses of Exeter. The portion of this parish on the west of the Tamar was transferred from Cornwall to Devonshire in 1844. Electricity is available.

 

The church of St Bridget is an ancient building of stone, in the perpendicular style, consisting  of chancel, nave, south aisle, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles  containing 8 bells; the whole peal was rehung in 1877 and was again recast in 1926. There are four stained glass windows and on the north wall of the nave is a brass to William Henry Napier, who fell in battle  May 31 1859. Over the south porch is a sundial and in the porch are preserved the village stocks. In 1891, a side chapel  was added to the north transept , and a carved oak rood screen and choir seats provided; the lower part of the screen is filled with painting of the 12 Apostles. An organ was erected in 1892 and on the north wall is a brass tablet inscribed with the names of those who fell in the Great War.

 

The mansion of Tackbere is the property of Albert de Castro Glubb Esq. The history of the manor can be traced from the Domesday Book of 1086. The soil is chiefly clay and the subsoil is also clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and root vegetables. The population in 1931 was 114.

 

     PRIVATE RESIDENTS

       Lionel Ashton, Southlands

     Captain Terence Dillon, Godfray

     Rev. Frank Hawker Kingdon,A.K.C.L., The Vicarage

      Frederick Charles Lucas, Elm Park

     COMMERCIAL

Courtney John Adams, Motor Engineer.

Lionel Ashton, Farmer

Alfred Gregory Baker, farmer, South View

Alfred Barrett, Grocer (Miss A. Barrett, proprietress)

Robert Bowden, farmer, Church Town

Bridge Inn (Frederick Putt)

Orlando Carthew, farmer, Merrifield

William Curtis, Farmer, Borough

Philip Dinner, Blacksmith

Ernest Dymond, Carpenter & Post Office

Lucy Dymond (Mrs), Farmer, Borough Park

Christina Mary French (Mrs.), Farmer, Knowle

Fulford (Bude) Ltd, Merchants

Ernest J. Gardener, Farmer, Simonsham

Thomas Gardener, Farmer, Borough

Godfray's Garage, Filling station etc.

Daniel Heddon, farmer, Littlebridge

Samuel James Hill, Poultry Farmer, Springfield

John Honey, miller, (Water)

John Henry Honey, Farmer, Dux

William Honey, Farmer, Dux

Wesley Samuel Jones, Farmer, Holladon

Ernest Kivell, farmer, Cattle dealer,Newacott

Robert Wyatt Loye, Boot & Shoe Store

J. Lucas & Son, Farmers, Corn merchant etc, Elm Park

(Proprietors: F.C.Lucas and E J. Gardener)

Harold Michael Martyn, Farmer, Scotland

Frank Moore, Farmer, Lodgeworthy

North Cornwall Brick Co, Whitstone

Joseph Orchard, farmer, Borough

W.W.Petherick & Sons, Coal merchants, Bridgerule Station

Mabel Pratt (Miss) newsagent

Percy Pratt, Draper

Percy William Radford, Farmer, Sanctuary

George Risdon, Farmer, Norton

Thomas W. Rowe, Smallholder, Moorside

Norman Slee, Farmer, Moorside

Richard Sluggett, Farmer, Grove

Richard James Sloby, Farmer and Riding School, Furze

Orlando Vinnicombe, Farmer, Littlebridge

West Devon and Cornwall Farmers Ltd, Stores, Station.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page