^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BROADHEMBURY IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

The ancient bridge at the entrance to Broadhembury

The bridge over the River Tale at Broadhembury

© Richard J. B rine

Broadhembury, a sequestered village, picturesquely seated among the hills, about 6 miles ESE of Cullompton and NW of Honiton, has in its parish 851 souls and 6155 acres of land, including the scattered  hamlets of Collaton, Luton, Dulford and Kerswell, extending to within 3 miles of Collumpton. The hills and dales of this parish send two tributary streams to the rivers Culm and Otter.

 

There is an Agricultural Association at Broadhembury and a cattle fair on December 11th.

 

The manor, anciently held by the noble family of Torrington and afterwards by Dunkeswell Abbey, was purchased by Edward Drewe, sergeant at law to Queen Elizabeth. Edward Simcoe Drewe Esq. is now lord of the manor and owner of two-thirds of the parish. He has a handsome seat here, called Grange, built about 1610, but modernised and improved some years ago. Bethel Walrond Esq of Dulford House and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. Kerswell or Carswell hamlet has about 150 inhabitants and an Independent Chapel. It had formerly a small Priory of Cluniac  with monks belonging to Montacute Priory in Somersetshire.

 

The manor of Carswell-cum Dulvet or Dulford, belongs to Mr Drewe, who is also lessee of the great tithes which were commuted in 1835 for £300 and the small tithes for £216 per annum.

 

The Church (St Andrew) is an ancient structure with a tower and five bells. It has a handsome screen, and several monuments of the Drewe family. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the rectory and patrons of the vicarage. The Rev. W. Heberden MA is the incumbent and has a good residence.

 

The free School for 20 poor children is endowed with about 2 acres of land near Fenny Mills, purchased in 1725 with £40 left by the Rev, John Burrough; and with £10 a year out of the great tithes of Awliscombe whose parishioners have the interest of £656 left by various donors and about £10 a year as the rent of Butcher's Meadow left by Mary Hill in 1755.

 

RESIDENTS

Hydon, Richard, surgeon

Cole, Hewnry, farrier

Drewe, Edward Simcoe Esq, Grange

Granger, William, carpenter and parish clerk

Hallett John Charles, schoolmaster

Heberden. Rev. William MA, Vicarage

Hockley, John, shopkeeper

Minifie, Robert, blacksmith

Pearcy, Mr. John

Potter Mr. John

Stiling, Jane, wheelwright

Taylor, Catherine, schoolmistress

Weeks, John, victualler, the Red Lion

Waldlron, Bethel Esq, Dulford House

FARMERS

William Ackland

Francis Blackmore

Richard Blackmore

John Blackmore

Robewrt Blackmore

Grace Ellis

Thomas Lambert

Ann Lawrence

Thomas Marks

Charles Matthews

Thomas Matthews

John Mortimer

Jane Shiles

William Shiles

Thomas Valentine

SHOEMAKERS

John Burton

Edward Clark

Joseph Granger

John Haymes

TAILORS

Robert Haymes

Henry Payne

POST; from Honiton

 

                                                                            

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page