^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BUCKLAND-IN-THE-MOOR IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Buckland in the the Moor is a parish of scattered houses, partly in the picturesque valley of the Dart and adjoining Dartmoor Forest and the Haytor Granite Rocks, 3½ miles N.W of Ashburton. It contains only 226 souls and 1437 acres of land of which 805 acres are wood and plantations.

 

The Dart Valley at Buckland in the Moor

The Dart Valley at Buckland -in- the- Moor

©Richard J. Brine

 

E. R. P. Bastard Esq. owns most of the soil and is lord of the manor. He has a handsome seat* here called Buckland Court which was enlarged and beautified about 25 years ago, by the widow of the late John Pollexfen Bastarad Esq.

 

The church is a small ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. It is now undergoing a thorough reparation. The perpetual curacy is annexed to the vicarage of ASshburton and has 13 acres of glebe, but no parsonage. Reddicliff Farm has been held from an early period for the repairs of the church and the payment of small salaraies to the clerk and secxton. It is let for about £40 a year and is supposed to h ave been given by Elizabeth Cole in 1506.

*2011. Nowderelict and not fit for habitation.  It is a listed building but restoration would cost a fortune as the interior of the building has collapsed although the exterior walls still stand - just about!

St Peters church, Buckland-in-the-Moor

St Peter's church, Buckland-in-the-Moor

©Richard J. Brine

 

Bastard, E. R. P Esq., Buckland Court

Hamlyn, John, blacksmith

 

FARMERS

Head, John

Hext, Thomas, Pulsham

Mann, William, Beera

Norrish, James (owner). Stone

Smerdon, Edward, Southbrook

Smerdon, James, Elliot's Hill

Smerdon, Thomas, Elliot's Hill

Smerdon, Elisha, Bowdown

Smerdon, William, Reddicliffe

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page