^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BUCKLAND-IN-THE-MOOR IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1939

 

Buckland in the Moor is a parish and village adjoining Dartmoor Forest, 3½  miles north-west from Ashburton station  on the Ashburton  branch of the Great Western Railway, and west from Newton Abbot, in the Totnes Division of the county, Haytor Hundred, petty sessional division of teignbridge, rural district and county court district of Newton Abbot, rural deanery of Moreton, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, as appears from the will of Robert Carseleigh, dated 22nd June 1547 and proved at Exeter, is  an ancienct building, chiefly in the perpendicular style and consisting of chancel, nave, separated from a north aisle by an arcade of three arches on clustered piers, tower containing a clock and  8 bells, three of which were given in 1930 by William Whitley, Esq. together with the clock, in memory of his mother. The font is of late Norman date and has zig-zag and cable moulding; the screen is handsome and has figures of saints in the panels, and at the back are grotesque paintings of the 15th century date. Buckland church formerly belonged to Torre Abbey (Torquay), but was alienated previously to the dissolution of monasteries; there are 180 sittings. The register dates from 1694 for marriages, baptisms from 1692, burials, from  1728. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburton, joint net yearly value £560, is in the gift of the dean and chapter of Exeter and held since 1938 by the Rev. Leonard Bristow Stallard MA of Keble College, Oxford who resides at Ashburton. There is a charity called the Ruddycleare trust.

Buckland Beacon, a point about 1200 feet high, affords a very extensive view, and the seacoast from Teignmouth to Torquay is plainly discernable on a clear day. Buckland Court is the property of William Whitley Esq. who is the sole landowner. The soil is of a loamy nature; the subsoil is principally granite. The chief crops are cereals and roots of all kinds. The area is 1493 acres of land and inland water. The population in 1931 was 76.

 

Letters through Ashburton which is the nearest Money order and Telegraph Office                

 

Thatched cottages at Buckland in the Moor

Thatched cottages at Buckland in the Moor

©Richard J. Brine

 

COMMERCIAL

Counter, Owen, farmer, Southbrook

Easterbrook, William John, farmer, Ruddycleave

Furber, John, estate carpenter to W. Whitley Esq.

Hern, Thomas Edward, farmer, Bearah

Hext, Herman Richard, farmer, Higher Pudsham

Hext, William Edward, farmer, Lower Pudsham

Mann, Peter Samuel Duder, farmer, Chalamoor

Spurling, George Edward, gardener at Buckland Court

Warner, George Alfred, gamekeeper to William Whitley Esq.

Whiteway, Walter William, farmer, Elliot's Hill

Whitley, William, farmer and landowner, Bowden.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page