^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BURLESCOMBE'S ENTRY IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Burlescombe is a pleasant village, near the Bristol and Exeter Railway, 8½ miles E.N.E of Tiverton and 5 miles S.W of Wellington, Somerset. It has in its parish 958 souls and 3767 acres of land, divided into the Town Tithing and Appledore*, Westleigh and Ayshford Tithings and hamlets.  The three latter comprise 2600 acres and are in the Halberton Hundred. The parish is hilly and abounds in limestone. It extends to the borders of Somerset and is crossed by the Grand Western Canal.

On the farm called Canonsleigh was a Priory of Augustine canons, founded by Walter Claville in the reign of Henry II, but in the reign of Edward I, it was given to an abess and nuns of the same order by the Countess of Gloucester. At the dissolution, it was valued at £197. 3s. 1d per annum. The farm now belongs to T. Brown Esq. The nuns of Canonsleigh had a charter for a market in 1286.

 

The manors of Burlescombe, Ayshford and Westleigh formerly belonged to the Claville and Ayshford families and are now held by Edward Ayshford Sanford Esq; but a great part of the parish belongs to the heirs of the late Sir William Follett, R. H. Clarke Esq, Henry Dunsford Esq.,  and other freeholders.

 

The church, (St. Mary) is a fine antique structure with a tower and five bells. The interior has several neat monuments of the Ayshford and other families, and has recently been renovated and fitted up with new carved oak seats. Some of the windows have also been enriched with stained glass, and the screen richly emblazoned. E. A. Sanford Esq. is impropriator of the great tithes andpatron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £11 15s. 10d, and in 1831 at £316.  The Rev. Thomas Tanner MA is the incumbent and has a good residence and 16 acres of glebe. His tithes were commuted in 1838 for £330, and the impropriator's for £220 per annum.

 

There is a small ancient chapel of ease at Ayshford, and a Wesleyan chapel at Westleigh. The parish is entitled to send a boy to Uffculme Free School.

 

BURLESCOMBE

 

Down Thomas & Wall, John, smiths

Harper Edward, shopkeeper

Hewett, James, lime burner

Hitchcock, William, shoemaker

Hitchcock, Simeon, shoemaker

Marder, James Wood, gent., Easterbrook

Norman, John, mason

Norris, William, gent., Elm Cottage

Potter, John, lime and timber merchant

Pounds, Richard, victualler, the Red Bull

Sully, John, corn dealer

Tanner, Rev. Thomas, MA, vicar

Vickery, Thomas, smith and farrier

Young, William, wheelwright

 

APPLEDORE*

Fryer, George, blacksmith

Hussey, James, shopkeeper

Pounds, William, beerhouse keeper

Radford, Henry, shopkeeper

 

AYSHFORD

 

Manley, William sen., tailor

Manley, William jun., tailor

Pounds, William, beerhouse keeper

Stephens, William, gent.

 

WESTLEIGH

McLead, J, victualler, the Farmer's Inn

Taylor, henry, lime dealer and beerhouse keeper

Taylor, William, tailor

Venn, J, shopkeeper

Wall, John, smith

 

FARMERS

Barrington, Richard, Canonsleigh

Cook, Nathaniel, Ayshford Court

Davey, John, Easterbrook

Doble, Francis

Gilham, George

Hewett, John

Hewett, William

Jackman, William

Jeffries, William

James, Benjamin sen.

James, Benjamin, jun.

Land, Thomas

Merson, William

Morgan, John

Stone, Robert

Taylor, Henry, Westleigh

Talbot, Thomas

Thorne, John, Appledore

Thorne, John jun.,Houndaller

Wawman, Thomas, Westleigh

Webber, William, Pugham

Post through Wellington.

 

 

* Not to  be confused with Appledore in the parish of Northam in North Devon.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page