^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CHARLES IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

CHARLES, a village and parish in the valley of the river BRAY, 6 miles N. by W of South Molton, contains 362 souls, and 2432 acres of land including Brayford hamlet and a number of scattered houses. Sir Peregrine Fuller Palmer Acland, Bart. of Fairfield, Somersetshire, is lord of the manor, and owner of the pleasant seat called Little Bray, in the valley, 2 miles N. of the village. A great part of the parish belongs to Earl Fortesque, J. Davey Esq., H. Karslake Esq., Jno. Loosemoore, Jno. Smythe and several smaller owners. The Church (St. John,) has a tower and 5 bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £9.10s., and in 1831 at £160. in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Blackmore. M.A., who has 130A. of glebe, and a large and commodious Rectory House, recently rebuilt, and commanding extensive views, in which are seen Haldon and Dartmoor hills. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £240 per annum. Here also are two chapels, belonging to Baptists and Wesleyans.

 

Little Bray House, Charles
Little Bray - the seat of Sir Peregrine Fuller Palmer Acland Bart.

 

RESIDENTS

Blackmore Rev. Rd,. M.A., Rectory
Cutcliffe. George, tailor
Cutcliffe. Rev. Wm. (Baptist)
Dallyn, Thomas, shoemaker
Dallyn Wm. backsmith
Hill Wm. victualler Plough
King Mrs H., Little Bray
Thorne George, carpenter

 

FARMERS

Greenslade, John. || Hill Wm
Hill John || Hunt Edward
Hutchins Thomas || Mogridge George
Passmore Michae, Deer Park
Rudd John || Skinner Alex
Smyth John || Widlake George

 

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page