^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CHARLETON  IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

Charleton is a parish combining two  straggling villages (to the East and West in the Southern division of the county, and includes Coleridge Hundred, Stanborough and Coleridge petty sessional divisions, Kingsbridge Union and county court district, the rural deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes and the diocese of Exeter. The parish is  divided into two parts, East and West Charleton. the latter being only two miles south east  from Kingsbridge station, but extending 1 mile further through East Charleton and including parts of the  hamlet of Frogmore.

 

St Marys, West Charleton

St Marys West Charleton

© Richard J. Brine

The church of St Mary is an edifice of stone chiefly in the decorated style restored, (except for the tower) in 1849-50, at a cost of £1300 which consists of chancel, nave, transept, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with turret, formerly containing 4 bells, 3 of which have been recast and two new ones added at a cost of £250; the pulpit and font are of Caen Stone; the chancel retains sedilia and placina, and there are several tablets to the Twysden family; the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Twysden MA, vicar 1842 - 1888; there are also two small memorial windows to Mrs Twysden and a large tablet in the south transept to the Rev. Thomas Whinyates, a former rector.

There are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory  including 30 acres of glebe, and all is in the gift of Earl Compton and held since 1891 by the Rev. Vincent Young MA of Corpus Christi College Cambridge. The is also a  Mission Chapel at Goveton seating 150 persons with weekly 6.30 Sunday services on Sundays. It is used as a school during the week.

Charleton bridge was built in 1864 and rebuilt in 1873 and consists of five arches. A drinking fountain in the village was the gift of Countess Compton.

Earl Compton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and slate; and the subsoil, slate.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, roots and pasture land. The area  is 1094 acres of land, 14 of tidal water, and 275 of foreshore. The population in 1921 was 233 in the civil and 455 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Goveton and Lidstone, about 3 miles north are hamlets added to Buckland Tout Saints by Local Government Board order, March 24, 1884. The Post office is in West Charleton (Morgan Weymouth, postmaster) and a wall letter box in East Charleton (emptied twice each weekday and once on Sundays). There is a Public Elementary School, rebuilt by the late Earl Compton in 1889, with room for 111 children.

RESIDENTS

(This includes both parts of the village)

Mrs. J. Maye, Croft

Mrs. Rickard, Compton Cottage

Young, Rev. Vincent M.A. The rectory

COMMERCIAL

Alfred Blake, Mason

William Coaker, Farmer, Charleton Court

Edward Cornish, farmer, East Farm

Walter Farr, carpenter, East Charleton

Sarah and Mary Harley (The Misses) grocers

Thomas Mays, farmer, Homefield

Robert Sergeant, Farmer, East Charleton

Charles Weymouth, Shipwright

George Henry Wills, publican ( Ashburton Arms) and farmer

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page