"CHITTLEHAMPTON, a large and pleasant village, 5½ miles W. of South Molton, and 6½ miles S.E. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 1893 inhabitants, and 8720 acres of land, extending westward to the Taw Valley, and including the village of Chittleham-holt*, and the hamlets of Ambow, Bidicot, Brightley, Stowford, Newton, and Head, and many scattered farmhouses, &c.
*An ancient name for a clearing in a wooded area.
There is some beautiful scenery on the banks of the Taw, particularly near Head Wood. A fair is held in the village on the third Saturday in March. The manor of Chittlehampton belongs to the heirs of the late Lord Rolle, and was formerly held by the Fitzhamon, Spenser, Dauberry, Pollard, and Venner families. The manor of Chittleham-holt belongs to John Brown, Esq., whose son has a pleasant seat here. Hudscot, a neat mansion with pleasant grounds, is the seat of the sister of the late Lord Rolle. J. Tanner, the Rev. P. Johnson, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
The Church (St. Hieritha,) is a large and handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a fine tower and six bells. Its tutelary saint is said to have been interred here. It contains several handsome monuments, and has a finely carved stone pulpit. It contains several handsome monuments and has a finely carves stone pulpit. The heirs of the late Lord Rolle are patrons of the vicarage and the living is currently held by the Rev, Henry Chichester.
St Johns Church is about three miles S by E of Chittlehampton and is a neat structure , built in 1838 at a cost of £1000. It was founded by the late Lord Rolle, who also built a good house for the perpetual curate of that place
Chittlehampton has a National School, partly supported by subscription.