^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CHRISTOW IN WHITE'S  DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Christow, a straggling village on the western side of the river Teign, 9 miles SW of Exeter and 4½ miles NW of Chudleigh, has, in its parish 624 souls and about 3600 acres of land. Viscount Exmouth owns a great part of the soil and is lord of the manors of Christow and Canonteign which were purchased by his father of W. Helyar in 1812.  L. Palk Esq. and several smaller owners, have estates here. Both manors were held by abbeys in Normandy and were granted at the Reformation to John, Lord Russell.

 

Cononteign was successively the seat of the Berry, Gibbs, Gibbon and Davy families and was garrisoned for Charles I in the civil wars, but was taken by Fairfax in December 1645 and placed under the command of Colonel Okey who afterwards, suffered as one of the regicides.

 

St James 's Church, Christow

St James's Church, Christow

© Richard J. Brine

 

The church (St. James) is a small ancient fabric with a tower and six bells and was appropriated to Bec Abbey in Normandy and afterwards to Tavistock Abbey. The great tithes were purchased by the landowners in 1812. The vicarage is in the gift of Viscount Exmouth and incumbency of the Rev. William Woolcombe who has a neat residence and £170 in lieu of tithes.

 

New Cononteign House is an occasional estate of Viscount Exmouth and in its pleasure -grounds is a beautiful waterfall.

The mine in this parish, called Adams William was opened about forty years ago, and was long worked for copper ore, manganese &c. It is now sunk to the depth of 60 fathoms and yields lead, from which a portion of silver is extracted, but it is not very prolific.

A Friendly Society was established for this parish and neighbourhood in 1839. John Stooke, in 1691 left  Smyth's Hay Farm for charitable uses. It comprises 26 acres and is let for about £26 per annum. Out of the yearly income, the vicar of Christow receives about £11 and the poor have five 4d loaves weekly. Of the remainder, £5 belongs to the poor of Ashton and £5 to the rectory of Trusham.

 

RESIDENTS

Viscount Exmouth, New Canon Teign House

Jane Adams, school and post mistress

John Bowley, blacksmith

Francis Guscott, cattle doctor and shopkeeper

William Dunrich, victualler, the Artichoke

William Hill, surgeon

John Norrish, shoemaker

William price, stone mason

John Sandford, victualler, Teign House Inn

Edward Scanes, tailor

Hugh JOhn Smerdon, gentleman, White's Farm

Joseph Toms, parish clerk

Rev. William Wopolcombe, the Vicarage

Bartholomew Woon, shopkeeper

FARMERS

Joseph Adams, Bowden

Nathaniel Adams, Clampit

Nicholas Adams, Moor Barton

Wiolliam Artcher, Seahill Farm

Joseph Gray Braddon, Newhyner

John Delvebragg, Wells Farm

John Edwards, New House

Samuel Endicott, Orphan

James Gidley, Loomscroft

James Hamlyn, Lower Bennah

JOhn Mamlyn, Higher Bennah

Robert Hemans, Court Farm

Thomas Lovies, Kennick

Richard Oldrey, Canonteign

William Peters, Water Well

John Pinwill, Cleap's House

Richard Starnger, Shootimoor.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page