^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CLYST HONITON IN WHITE'S 1939 DIRECTORY

 

Clyst Honiton (or Honiton Clyst) is a parish and village on the road from Exeter to Honiton and on the river Clyst about 1¾ miles south from Broadclyst Station (now closed) on the main line of the Southern railway; 4 miles east-by-north from Exeter; it is in the Honiton division of the county, East Budleigh Hundred, Woodbury petty sessional division, St Thomas rural district, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Aylesbeare and Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Gas and electricity are available.

 

 The original memorial without its light

This is the war memorial purchased by the villagers. The light (which they placed on top ) was later removed and replaced by the stone cross, presumably to conform to blackout regulations.

 

The church of St. Michael and All Angels if a building of red stone in the Perpendicular style, with some portions of Early English, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells cast in 1882 and rehung in 1904. There is a curious monument to John Yarde who led the advance over over Clyst Bridge in opposition to the rebels of the Prayer Book Revolution of 1548. The church was restored in 1905 and there are 105 sittings. The living is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter and since 1931, has been held by the Rev. Arthur Charles Keene DD.

In the churchyard is a lamp on a pedestal of Portland stone, erected by the parishioners in 1920; on a pedestal are engraved the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918.

The soil is clay and red sand; subsoil red sand. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The population 1931 was 300. There is a post office and police station.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Keene, the Rev. Arthur Charles Keene DD, The Vicarage

Read, Walter Harry, Sunnyside

COMMERCIAL RESIDENTS

Allen, Albert Edward, Post office, Newsagent, etc.

Arscott, Edward, Jun., farmer, Marlborough

Channon, Daniel, farmer, Axhayes

Cole, Francis Henry, farmer, Holbrook

Cornall, Francis George, farmer, Newhouse

Duke of York public house ( publican: Herbert Symons)

Exeter  Municipal Airport

Hawkins, Edgar, farmer, Waterslade

Melhuish, Lawrence, market gardener

Mortimore, Roy, grocer.

Parker Brothers, farmers, Fairoak

Read, Walter Harry, Parish Council Clerk

Retter, Aaron, farmer,  Lower Holbrook

Rice, George William, cafe and accommodation, The Dairy

Tavender, Frederick , farmer, Hayes Barton

Thompson, Edward, carpenter, blacksmith , motor spirit etc

Venner,Abraham, farmer, Home Farm

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page