^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CREDITON IN 1759

Use the scroll bar to view the complete page

 

Taken from "Brice's Grand Gazetteer" published in 1759

(The original spelling has been retained)

 

CREDITON

"Crediton is one of the most antient and populous Country towns in the West of England. It is divided into 2 parts vulgarly called the Eastern and Western Town (the former governed by a Bailiff, the latter by a Portreeve) the latter of which is most considerable, for extent of ground, number of inhabitants, beauty of buildings and for trade.

In this part is kept a large, well-supplied and much frequented, Saturday's market, inferior, it is said, but to few in the Kingdom as to the 2 articles, yarn and fresh meat; above 70 bullocks throughout the winter quarter being the weekly supply of the Shambles, and sheep in proportion; tame fowls of all sorts being likewise abundant and as cheap, and in the seasons scarce in any country market, is found greater plenty of partridges, woodcock etc., etc.

And with regard to the woollen trade, 14 or 1,500 serges are (at least were wont to have been) here one week with another (raw) manufactured, carried to Exeter, etc., there died, milled and finished; and thence exported."

 

Crediton in the early 19th century
Crediton from Downhead in the early 19th century

Courtesy Devon County Council

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page