^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

 

DALWOOD IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

      

Dalwood, a village and parish, 6 miles E by N of Honiton and 4 miles WNW of Axminster, has 513 souls and about 1600 acres of land and was formerly a detached portion of the County of Dorsetshire. It has a cattle fair on the Wednesday before August 21st. The soil belongs to Sir E. M. Elton, Bart., the Rev. T. F. Dymock. Mr R W Pike, Messrs White and several other freeholders.

The church (St Peter) is an ancient structure with  a tower and five bells. The living is a perpetual curacy and is consolidated with the lived of Stockland. Here is a Baptist Chapel and a Sunday School.

 

The Tuckers Arms Dalwood
The Tuckers Arms Dalwood

 

RESIDENTS

James Beer, smith

William Board, smith

John Bowditch, corn miller

William Chapple cooper

Robert Colverwell, carpenter

John Davey, tailor

William Davey, shoemaker

Simeon Down, carpenter

William Edwards, grocer etc,

John Gould smith

William Gould, tanner

Edward John,  shoemaker

Daniel Mitchell, shoemaker

Mary Rapsey, vicualler, Tucker's Arms

George & Joseph Strowbridge, masons

John Stroud, Gent, Dens Villa

John Thomas, beerseller

Benjamin Warren, glue manufacturer

FARMERS

Thomas Banfield

Robert Bright

John French

John Gould

Thomas Kingsbury

Robert Lane

William Newbery

John North (and shopkeeper)

John Palmer

Robert Pike

John Smith

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page