Doddiscombsleigh is a parish and village on the river Teign, 2 miles from Ashton Station on the Teign Valley line of the Great Western railway, 6 miles south-west from Exeter and 6 north from Chudleigh, in the north eastern division of the county, Exminster Hundred, Wonford Petty Sessional Division, St. Thomas' Union, Exeter county court district, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.
The church of St. Michael is an ancient edifice of granite in the Decorated and perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the tower is of unusual construction, having lofty central buttresses on its north and south sides. The church was restored in 1879 at a cost of about £1200, and at the same time the north windows and one of the east windows, which contained considerable remains of ancient glass, were restored. In 1887,the church was entirely re-seated and affords 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678. The living is a rectory, average yearly value from tithe rent-charge £234, with residence and about 100 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1883 by the Rev. Frederick Finney Buckingham MA of Hertford College, Oxford. There is a parochial library, containing 200 volumes under the management of the rector. The charities are of about £6 yearly value.
There are manganese mines in the parish, which are now in disuse. Lord Haldon, who is lord of the manor, Thomas Bedford Bolitho esq. MP; Mrs. Buckingham, Colonel Sir William Hood Walrond, bart.,MP, Edward Byrom esq. DL of Culver and the Messrs Archer are chief landowners. The soil is of a mixed description - in some parts light, in others a stiff clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat. oats, barley and potatoes. The area is 2,391 acres; rateable value £2080; the population is 1891 was 250.
Sexton: George Cornish.
Letters through Dunsford via Exeter arrive at 8.15am. Dunsford is the nearest money order office & Chudleigh the nearest Telegraph Office.
Wall letter box cleared at 5.35 pm.
This place is included in the United School Board district of Christow & Doddiscombsleigh, formed October 12th 1877.
Board school (mixed) erected 1880 to hold 50 children: average attendance 39; Miss Kate Glasson, mistress.
Buckingham, Rev. Frederick Finney BA, Rectory.
Archer, Samuel, Lake House
Coleridge, Thomas, farmer, Woodah
Coles, john, farmer, Eastern Hill
Cornish, George, shopkeeper
Diggines, Thomas, wheelwright, licensee of New Inn & overseer
Goldsworthy, Frederick, farmer, Sextons
Hore, Edward, thatcher
Knapman, George, farmer, Perry
Pitts, John, farmer, Great Leigh
Sercombe, John, farmer, Lowleigh
Sercombe, Joseph, farmer, Sheldon
Smallridge, George, blacksmith & farmer
Todd, Henry, farmer
Tucker, William, farmer, Apridge
Woolland, Moses, farmer, Town Barton