^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DODISCOMBSLEIGH'S ENTRY IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY FOR 1923

 

Doddiscombsleigh is a parish and village on the river Teign, 2 miles from Ashton Station on the Teign Valley branch of the Great Western Railway, 6 south-west from Exeter and 6 north from Chudleigh; it is in the Tiverton division of the county, Exminster Hundred, Wonford petty sessional division, St. Thomas Union, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of St. Michael is an ancient edifice of granite in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; the tower is of unusual construction, having lofty central buttresses on its north and south sides: the church was restored in 1879 at a cost of £1,500 and at the same time the north windows and one of the east windows, which contained several remains of ancient glass representing "the Seven Sacraments" were restored: one window bears, scratched on the glass, the name of Peter Cole, glazier, 30 March 1762:  the lower part of the rood screen and parcloses, intact in 1847, has now disappeared: in 1887 the church was entirely reseated and affords 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £430, with residence and 112 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1883 by the Rev. Frederick Finney Buckingham MA of Hertford College, Oxford, Prebendary of Exeter and JP, Devon. There is a parochial library containing 200 volumes, under the management of the rector. The charities are of about £6 yearly value.

 

The manganese mines in the parish are not now worked. Stephen Simpson esq., and the Rector are the chief landowners. The soil is of a mixed description, in some parts light, in others a stiff clay; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and potatoes. The are is 2, 431 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £2, 197; the population in 1911 was 220.

 

SEXTON: John Loveys

POST OFFICE: Miss Lucy Bond, sub-postmistress.

Letters through Exeter. Lower Ashton, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order office & Dunchideock the nearest telegraph office.

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected 1880 to hold 50 children. Miss M. W. Mullett, mistress.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Archer, Samuel, Lake House

Buckingham, Rev. Preb. Frederick Finney, MA; JP. (rector) Rectory 

 

COMMERCIAL

Bond, Lucy (Miss), shopkeeper & Post Office

Densham, Frank, farmer, Hereford

Evans, Walter John, farmer, Dent House

Freemantle, William, farmer, Eastern Hill

Hale, Reginald Samuel, farmer, Lowleigh

Hamlin, Albert Henry M, farmer, Town Barton

Lewis, Albert Henry, New Inn

Lidstone, William, farmer, Perry

Loveys, Willie, farmer, Pitt

Partridge, James, farmer, Great Leigh

Shilston, Leonard, farmer, Sextons

Smallridge, E (Mrs), farmer, Whitemoor

Steed, George Henry, farmer, Misleigh

Surridge, Frederick William, farmer

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page