Dolton is a parish and village, adjoining the river Torridge, 8 miles south-east from Torrington terminal station of a branch of the London and South Western railway, in the northern division of the county, North Tawton Hundred, Torrington petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Torrington, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.
The church of St. Edmund is an edifice of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of a chancel, nave of three bays, aisles. south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing six bells, the first three cast by John Pennington in 1813; the 4th is dated 1843, the 5th cast by Taylor of Oxford in 1828 and the 6th was hung in 1876 by Warner of London. The church retains a pre-Norman font, dating from about AD 680 to 850. there are four memorial windows, one erected by Mrs. Stafford to her late husband, another by Mrs. Risdon to the late George Owen, the third, by William Hooper, to his parents, who were formerly of this parish, and the fourth to the late rector, by his son in 1865; there are also several monuments to the Stafford family, dating from 1590. The chancel and east window were restored in 1874 at a cost of £210, and the church has (1888) been restored and the greater part of it rebuilt at a cost of £1,532: there are 400 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1608; marriages from 1610. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent charge £282, net yearly value £341, including 132 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of and held since 1863, by the Rev. Thomas William Whale MA of St. John's College, Cambridge.
A Baptist chapel, with Sunday School attached was built in 1876. there are also chapels for the Bible Christians and for the Brethren. the Charities amount to £11 5s. yearly. Markets are held in December, February and April. T. Preston Cooke Esq. is lord of the manor. Col. Arnold of Nethercott, Iddesleigh; the Rev. Charles Wellington Firste MS Canon Residentiary of Westminster; the Rev. T. W. Whale Ma rector and Mr. John Arnold are the principal landowners.
The soil is mixed: subsoil stone. the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. the area is 3,550 acres: rateable value £3176. The population in 1891 was 706.
Post:M.O.O.S.R & Annuity & Insurance office (Railway sub office. Letters should have R.S.O.North Devon added). Mrs. Jane Lyne, sub postmistress. Letters arrive per railway from Eggesford station at 5.57 am; dispatched at 7.13 pm. the nearest telegraph office is at Winkleigh.
National School (mixed) built in 1856 for 130 children; average attendance 90; John Edwin Evans, master.
William Budd to Barnstaple, Saturdays; to Torrington on Wednesdays.
Richard Lugg to Bideford on Tuesdays returning the same day.
Arnold, The Misses, The Cottage
Bull, Mrs. Stafford House
Chamings, Mrs., Court House
Drummond, Alexander Peters MD; CM, Hilliers
Friend, Joseph, Court House
Furse, Rev. Canon Charles Wellington MA, Halsdon House
Marshall, Mrs., Ackwill Cottage
Openshaw, Rev, John Ormerod, BA, (curate)
Stanbury, Richard, Great Cross
Trick, Samuel, Sages
Wadland, Miss, Rose Bank
Weeks, William, Fern Cottage
Whale, Rev. Thomas William, MA, Rectory
Whiting, Rev, George, (Baptist), Vine Cottage
Arnold, John, farmer & landowner, Buckland
Baker, Emmanuel, bill poster and shoemaker
Baker, Richard, tailor
Bealey, John, carpenter
Bealey, John, jun.,carpenter etc.
Bealey, Richard, builder
Bealey, William, carpenter
Blackmore, Richard, farmer, Cleave
Budd, Frederick, farmer, Woodtown