^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DOWN St MARY IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Down St Mary, 6 miles N.W by W of Crediton, has in its parish 407 souls and 2229 acres of land. Henry Charles Sturt Esq. is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, but Bradford barton belongs to B. Radford Esq. the patron of the rectory. The Rev. W. T. A. Radford BA. is the incumbent and has 50 acres of glebe and a neat Gothic residence built in 1846 at the cost of £1600. The church is an ancient structure with a curious Norman tympanum over the south door.

 

The Old Rectory Down St Mary

The Old Rectory, built in 1846

© Not known

 

RESIDENTS

John Avery, beer seller

Samuel Bushell, Schoolmaster

William Dunn, victualler, the Union

Andrew Partridge, victualler, Sturt's Arms

Rewv. William Radford, the Rectory

Richard Slee, shopkeeper

FARMERS

Joseph Cheriton

Joseph Cheriton jun.

William Cheriton

John Kelland

Roger May

Robert May

Thomas Moon

John Morris

John Searl

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page