^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DUNKESWELL IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1914.

 

Harvest Festival in Dunkeswell Church 2012

Dunkeswell Church dressed for the harvest festival in 2012

© Richard J. Brine

 

Dunkeswell is a parish and village near the high road from Honiton to Wellington, and stands from 700 to 800 feet above sea level; it is 4 miles south from Hemyock - Terminal Station of the Culm Valley branch of the Great Western Railway, 9 south from Wellington, Somerset, 6 north-by-west from Honiton and 20 north-east from Exeter, in the eastern division of the county, Hemyock Hundred, Honiton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Honiton and arch-deaconry and diocese of Exeter. ]The church of St Nicholas (dedicated, according to the "Devoniae Index Parochialis" in 1259, was an ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, porch and a tower containing 3 bells; in 1868, the church was replaced by an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower 65 feet high, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: there are 200 sittings. The registers date from the year 1743 but are very incomplete. The living is a perpetual curacy, net value £93, including 36 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Mrs Simcoe, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Randolph Ryan Bell. Here is also a Wesleyan chapel. The charities, amounting to about £25 are distributed by the vicar and the owner of Wolford. Wolford, the seat of Mrs. Simcoe, has a private chapel attached, built in 1800 by the late General Simcoe on the site of a former church called "Wulphere".

Mrs. Simcoe, who is lady of the manor, and the represntatives of the late Mrs Mary Graves, Captain Sir Frederick Edward William Harvey-Bathurst bart. of Simborne Park, J.A. de Selincourt Eccles Esq. of Dunkeswell Abbey and the trustees of the late Rev. William Speke of Sheldon Court, Honiton, are the principal landowners.

The soil is gravelly; subsoil, foxmoor and fine gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and grass. The area of the parish is 4588 acres - rateable value £2434.

The population of Dunkeswell in 1911 was 330 in the civil parish and 290 in the ecclesiastical parish.

SEXTON: Henry Ashford.

POLICE STATION: William George Marchant, constable in charge.

POST OFFICE: Harry George Clode, sub-postmaster

 

RESIDENTS

Bell, Rev. Randolph Ryan (incumbent)

Simcoe, Mrs, Wolford.

COMMERCIAL

John Batten - wheelwright and carpenter

Blackmore, Richard, farmer, Rook Rise

Burrough, Charles, farmer, Southayes

Canniford, Tom, farmer, Knapp Farm

Clode, Harry George, shopkeeper, Post Office

Drawer, Thomas, farmer, Manor farm

Farmer, James, Bywood Farm

Fricker, William Miller (water)

Hayes, William, blacksmith

Hayman Charles, farmer, Hutshayes

Hornsey, George, farmer, Old Park

Kittow, Samuel, farmer, Wolford Farm

Marchant, Hannah (Mrs), shopkeeper

Middleton, George, farmer, West Hill

Netherway, Henry John, farmer, Connetts and Slade

Radford, Frank, farmer Abbeywood

Radford, William, farmer, Stentwood

Richards, James, farmer, Whitehorn

Rosewell, Thomas (Mrs) farmer Grange Farm

Slade, Edward, farmer, Old Park

Smith, Robert, farmer, Bowerhayes and Shepherd's Valley

Sparks, Edwin, farmer, Tencery

Stephens, Robert, farmer, Southlands

Stevens, Albert James, farmer, Percy Farm

Wall, James, Royal Oak.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page