^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DUNTERTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Dunterton Church

All Saints Church, Dunterton

Courtesy of Dunterton's website

We have our own photos of this church but decided to go with this one because it emphasised the isolation of the building.  This fine church sits alone and looks and feels lonely even though it has a busy main road running alongside. The story goes that once it was in the centre of a village which has long gone but of that there seems to  be no trace. There is another story that in the plague years the orphaned children of Dunterton went to live in the church and that some survived in a place which lost many of its inhabitants. Even though many centuries have passed, population levels have still not recovered.

 

Dunterton, a small scattered parish in the Tamar valley, 7½ miles NW by W of Tavistock, has only 212 souls and 116 acres of land, including Eastacott hamlet. Arthur Kelly Esq is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.

 

The church (All Saints) is an ancient edifice, mostly in the decorated style, with a fine tower and three bells. In Chapel Field are the remains of a chantry chapel, converted into a cow-house. The Rev. N. T.W.Royse is patron adn incumbent of the rectory which has a good residence and 70 acres of glebe.

 

In the valley is a fine waterfall, flowing to the Tamar over a rocky precipice 100 feet high.

 

RESIDENTS

 

Rev. Nathaniel Thomas W. Royse, The Rectory

John Heathy, shopkeeper

James Fitze, farmer

William Harris, farmer

William Lark, Farmer

John  and Richard Mason, farmers

Johanna Heath, farmer

John Spear, Farmer

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page