^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

EAST ALLINGTON IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1939

 

East Allington is a pleasantly situated but scattered village and parish, 4 miles south-east from Kingsbridge and about 3½ east from Lodiswell on the Kingsbridge branch of the South Devon section of the Great Western Railway , in the Totnes Division of the county, the hundred of Coleridge, petty sessional division of Stanborough and Coleridge, rural district and county court district of Kingsbridge, rural deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes, and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with turret, containing 6 bells and a clock; in 1908 the five old bells were re-hung in a new iron frame, and a new treble bell added at a cost of £280; the pulpit and screen, dating from 1547, are fine specimens of rich carving and bear the arms of the Fortescue and other families who intermarried with them; the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Fortescue, late of Fallapit; there are also several monuments, as well as two brasses in splendid condition, one with an effigy, to John Fortescue Esq. ob. 1595, and to his wife, and an inscribed brass of the 17th century to John Fortescue and Margaret his wife, besides brasses and monuments to the Wells family. A baptistry and stained glass window were presented in 1892 by Mrs. Cubitt, in memory of her husband, William Cubitt Esq., and at the same time, a reredos of white and pink alabaster was erected; a new font of white and pink alabaster, with carved oak cover, was given by Mrs. Cubitt; and in 1900, a mural memorial was erected to the Rev. Henry Reymondo Fortescue,BA, Rector 1844 - 1898; the church was restored in 1875 at a cost of £2,500, defrayed by the late William Cubitt Esq. to whom an inscribed brass has been placed by the workpeople on the Fallapit Estate; in 1906, a new chancel door was provided by Lord Ashcombe, who also gave an American organ in 1913; in 1924, the Lady Chapel was restored and and furnished, at a cost of over £320 by parishioners and friends, in memory of the Rev. John Jervis Mallock, MA, Rector 1898 - 1922; the church affords 330 sitting. The register dates from the year 1554. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £464, including 84 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of Lord Ashcombe CB, and held since 1929 by the Rev,. Stainforth John Chadwick Lucas BA of St. Peter's College, Cambridge.

 

There is a Methodist Chapel seating 200. A Reading Room with kitchen attached for cooking classes, in connection with the school, was erected in 1898 by the 1st Lord Ashcombe, PC (who died in 1917) The charities are very small.

 

Fallapit, the seat of Gordon Hope Robinson Esq., is a noble mansion, in the Elizabethan style, surrounded by extensive shrubberies and pleasure grounds; it formerly belonged to the Fortescue family. who possessed the estate for about four centuries, and was the seat of John Fortescue Esq., the father of Sir Edmund Fortescue, Kt, governor and defender for the King ,of Salcombe Castle (the ancient key of which is still held by the family) in 1645, during the Civil War; the mansion, erected in the 19th century near the site of the former house, was enlarged and beautified in 1849. The kennels of the South Pool Harriers are in this parish; a committee are the masters; the pack comprises 30 couples of 19-22 inch harriers and hunts Mondays and Thursdays from Kingsbridge or Torcross which are convenient centres. Kingsbridge is the nearest station to the kennels.

 

The farmers and Cubitt Estates Ltd are the principal landowners. The soil in loam and clay; subsoil various. The crops are wheat, oats, barley, roots and some land is in pasture. The area is 3702 acres; the population in 1931 was 389.

 

Coombe (1 mile east); Cole's Cross, 1½ miles south-east; Harleston, 2?1 miles south-east; Mounts 1½ miles north-west and Weare Bridge, ½ mile south-by-east, are hamlets.

POST: Money order and Telegraph Office, East Allington. Letters through Totnes.

CARRIERS: W. E. Penny to Kingsbridge, Wednesday and Saturday; N. R. Williams to Dartmouth, Tuesday and Friday.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Lucas, Rev. Stainforth John Chadwick, BA, Rector, The Rectory

Rawlins, J. C. P. The Nook

Robinson Gordon Hope, Fallapit

COMMERCIAL

Bater, William, farmer, Higher Norton

Bond, Tom, farmer, Lower Pool

Cranch, Walter James, builder

Cole, Robert, Colhanger

Crocker, Laurence Richard, farmer, Kellaton

Efford, George, boot maker

Fountain, William, The Fortescue Arms

Goodman, William A, farmer, Harleston

Hodgson, Captain Harry Leonard, farmer, Cuttery

Holman, Benjamin Ernest, farmer, Lipton

Holmes, John Henry Parnell, grocer & baker

Lister, William, farmer, Bunkers Farm

Luce, John, jnr, farmer, Rimpstone

Luscombe, Alfred, farmer, Venn

Luscombe, Richard Henry, smallholder

Mingo, William Henry, farmer, Higher Pool

Nunn, Joseph James, farmer, Knighton

Penny, William Edwin, shopkeeper

Pinhey, John White, farmer, Flear

Pinhey, William Harold, farmer, Burleys Reading Room

Roper, Cyril James, stationer & Post Office

Sansom, M.J, A & M.O (The Misses) farmers, Cuttery

Shepherd, Stephen, farmer, Nutcombe

Soper, Roger Payne Rimes, agricultural engineer

Torr, William, farmer, Lower Norton

Tucker, Daniel, farmer, Instart

Tucker, William Robert, farmer and B&B, Fallapit Barton

Walke, Fernleigh, farmer, Pitt Farm

Walke, Harold, farmer, Cross Farm

Williams, Nathaniel Reuben, farmer, Mounts Farm

COOMBE

Helmer Brothers, farmers

Rogers, Garland Victor, farmer, Higher Coombe.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page