^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials

Continued from the previous page:


The story of Albert Tarr's brave and selfless deed spread across the world, as did the fact that he had been deaf and mute since birth. In the United States, it came to the attention of Andrew Carnegie, the great millionaire philanthropist who had founded the Carnegie Hero Fund in 1904, because, he said:


"I do not expect to stimulate or create heroism by this fund, knowing well that

heroic action is impulsive; but I do believe that,
if the hero is injured in his bold attempt to serve or save his fellows,
he and those dependent upon him should not suffer pecuniarily."


At the end of 1935, Albert Tarr posthumously received international recognition by being awarded this medal by the Carnegie Hero Fund and in addition, his elderly mother received financial assistance for the remainder of her life. His heroic act is recorded on the illuminated roll of the Carnegie Hero Trust Fund.


Albert Tarr's Carnegie Medal

Albert Tarr's Bronze Carnegie Medallion was incorporated into his memorial in East Anstey church.

©Richard J. Brine


The memorial to Albert Tarr i n East Anstey church

The memorial to Albert Tarr in East Anstey church

To the Glory of God and to perpetuate the honoured memory of


of this parish who was accidentally

killed at Dulverton 8 January 1935 at the age of 54.

Although deaf and dumb and so unable to raise an alarm

he threw himself in front of an approaching train

in a valiant effort to save a mother and child

This record is made by many friends in in recognition of his sacrifice.

The Bronze Medallion incorporated is the highest award of the Carnegie Hero Fund Trust on whose illuminated roll

the heroic act is recorded.

©Richard J. Brine


Albert William Tarr was born in East Anstey in the March Quarter of 1881. He was the son of George and Harriet Tarr (née Lake). (His eldest brother, George Henry Tarr, a retired Station Master,  gave identification evidence at the Inquest). His funeral service, which took place on January 12th 1935, was conducted by the Rector of East Anstey, the Rev. S. J. Payne who was assisted by the Rev. W. J. Freeman Bath who was Chaplain to the Somerset Diocesan Mission to the Deaf and Dumb, and it was reported that the little church was full.


Albert never married but gave his mother a home at Bucket's Hole in East Anstey. Although his funeral took place in the depths of winter, someone gathered polyanthus and primroses from his own garden to place on his coffin.




^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page