BUCKLAND, (EAST) a small parish and village, 5.5 miles N N.W. of South Molton, comprising 167 inhabitants, and about 1384A. of land mostly the property of Earl Fortesque., the lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in 1831, with that of Filleigh annexed to it. The Rev. Henry Hutton, MA, is the incumbent, and has here 40 acres of glebe and a good residence at Filleigh.
The church (St. Michael) is an ancient structure with a tower and four bells.