^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

 

ERMINGTON IN WHITE'S HISTORY, DIRECTORY AND GAZETTEER OF 1878

 

The original Ermington School seen from the churchyard

The original Ernmington School seen from the churchyard

© Richard J. Brine

 

ERMINGTON is a parish and small village on a bold eminence on the west side of the river Erme, encompassed by high hills, 10 miles E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles N.W. of Modbury.

The parish, which includes a large portion of the village of Ivyhridge, is in Plympton St. Mary union, East county court district, Ermington and Plympton petty sessional division. Brent polling district of Devon, Ermington hundred, Totnes archdeaconry and Plympton rural deanery. It had 2010 inhabitants (956 males, 1054 females) in 1871, living in 413 houses, on 4952 acres of land.

 

Henry Bingham Mildmay, Esq., is lord of the manor and hundred of Ermington, which was anciently a demesne of the Crown, and afterwards held by the Peverell, Fitzstephen, Bensted, Stoner, Rouse, and .other families. The manor of Ivybridge belongs to Lord Blachford, and was held by the De Ponte Hedereae, or Ivybridge family, from whom it passed to the Bonvilles and Crokers. The Manor House; Ludbrooke, is the seat and property of the Rev. J. M. Bartlet. Ludbrooke Manor and Barton were held for many generations by the Moyseys, from whom they passed by descent to the family of the present owner. Baldwin Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., T. Bulteel, Esq., Chalker Pearse, Esq., W. Pode, Esq., H. B. Mildmay, Esq., Sir Wm. Mitchell, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. Strachleigh, an old farmhouse, was long the seat of a family of its own name.

Three packs of hounds often hunt in the parish. In 1623 a meteoric stone, weighing 231bs., fell at Strachleigh, in this parish, and buried itself a yard deep in the ground. A similar stone fell in Yorkshire in 1795, and was exhibited in London. Fragments of this stone and of one which had fallen in India were analysed, and they proved to be of the same components — iron, nickel, &c. The Church (St. Peter) is a large ancient fabric, with a lofty embattled tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a crooked spire, which leans considerably on one side. It is chiefly in the early Perpendicular style, and portions of its screen and sedilia remain, with the ancient piscina, stoup, &c. It has a mutilated monument in memory of the last male heir of the Strachleigh family, who died in 1583, and whose heiress married Christopher Chudleigh, Esq.

The spire was injured by lightning about 1876, and has since been repaired at an outlay of £70, raised by subscription. In the same year £100, likewise raised by subscription, was expended in improvements in the church. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book, at £33 l1s. 3d, and in 1831 at £411, with the curacy of Kingston annexed to it, is in the patronage alternately of the Crown and the Rev. W. H. Andrews, and incumbency of the Rev. Courtenay J. C. Bulteel, of Holbeton. The Rev. Courtenay John Bulteel is curate. The Rev. W, H. Andrews is also patron and incumbent of the sinecure rectory, which was valued in 1831 at £463 per annum, and has 86f acres of glebe. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1841 — the vicarial for £312 I85., and the rectorial for £557 3s. per annum. Of the latter, £259 belongs to H. B. Mildmay, Esq., £270 to the Rev. W. 11. Andrews, £25 conveyed to feoffees of Ermington charities, and £3 3s. to Lord Blachford. The Vicarage House is a large building, with 1 acre of glebe. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.

The School Board was formed on February 28, 1872, and consists of W. F. Splatt, Esq. (chairman), the Rev. C. John. Bulteel, and Messrs. Edward Allen, Robert Ford and Wm. Treneman. Mr. George Coleman, jun., is clerk. The Board uses the old National School, which was built in 1841, and which has a house for the master. The Parish Lands, &c., comprise 12 acres at Kingston, given by Alice Hatch, in the 4th of Henry VIIL, and now let for £20 a year ; and two houses and two fields, given by Lady Fortescue and other donors, and now let for only 6s. 6d. per annum, in consideration of fines paid when the leases were granted. These fines are vested in £100 Navy Five per Cents. Out of the income, £10 is paid yearly to the schoolmaster, and the rest is distributed among the poor, who have also the interest of £100, left by the Rev. Wm. Pearse in 1743.

Post and Telegeaph Office at Mr. Richard Coleman's. Letters are received at 6.55 a.m. and 3.50 p.m., and despatched at 9.15 a.m. and 5.55 p.m., via Ivybridge, which is the nearest Money Order Office. On Sundays letters are received at 6.55 a.m. via Ivybridge, and despatched at 11 a.m. to Kingsbridge.

 

Arthur William, baker

Barlow John, tailor

Barons Edward, beerhouse & carrier

Barons Thomas Edward Lethbridge, wheelwright

Bartlet Rev Jno. Moysey, Manor house, Ludbrook

Brown John, shopkeeper, Cadleigh pk

Bulteel Rev Courtenay John, curate

Bunker George, bootmaker

Cane William, market gardener and shopkeeper, Westlake

Clarke Thomas, farmer, Clickland

Coaker John, tailor

Cole Mr Richard

Coleman John, smith and machinist

Coleman Richard. grcr. draper & postmaster

Coleman Samuel, baker

Corber John, victualler, New Inn

Elliott Bros, farmers, Hollowcombe

Elliott Charles (Bros.) & land steward to H. B. Mildmay, Esq.

Elliott Edward (Bros.) ; Bank house, Modbury

Elliott Thomas, carpenter, Langbrook

Fedrick John, farmer, Brook

Ford Henry, boot and shoe maker

Ford John, boot and shoe maker

Gill William, farmer, sexton

Heathman William, dairyman

Hillson Robert Petherbridge, farmer, Westlake

Horton Arthur Trowbridge, farmer, Swainston

Jackson Jas. Jeremiah, agt. for Fison's artificial manures, Freehamlet

Jackson Richard Nicholas, farmer, Freehamlet

Jarvis Mrs Elizabeth, West Park

Joint John, farmer. Lower Preston

Kerswill Mr Robert Thos. Westlake

Luscombe Edwin, farmer, Fernham

Luscombe John, farmer, Keaton ; and Godwell, Ugborough ;

Meathrel Joseph Wm. farmer. Woodland, Cadleigh & Stibb ;

Millman John, timber dealer

Millman Richard. shopkeeper. & timber dlr

Munro Mr Alex. Chas. Cadleigh house

Northmore Jno. day school. & parish clerk

Pawley Richard, boot and shoe maker, Westlake

Pearn Joseph. grazier & cattle dlr. Luson

Pickering Alfred and Mrs Mary Frances, Board school teachers

Prowse Philip, mason

Ryder John, victualler, Old Inn

Ryder William, farmer,

Sanders Mrs farmer, Beech

Sandover Andrew, btchr. ; & at Plymouth

Shepherd John, farmer, Burraton

Taylor Mrs Caroline, miller

Toms John Moysey, farmer, Coyton and Luson ;

TraherMrs Emmaline, shopkeeper and victualler,

Julian Arms, Cadleigh Park

Treneman Mrs Maria, farmer, East Worthing

Treneman William, farme,r Preston

Treneman Wm. farmer, Burriton and Hunsdon ;

Veale James, blacksmith, Westlake

White William, farmer. Strode

Williams Wm. boot & shoe mkr.& sexton

Witheridge Arthur, carpenter and cowkeeper, New Mills

Witheridge Henry. carpenter. & cattle dlr

Witheridge Philip, wheelwright

Wotton Wm. farmer, Foxe's Woodland

Wyatt Mr Frank, Erme villa

Wyatt John, farmer, West Worthill

Wyatt Nicholas, farmer, Luson

Carrier— Edward Barons, to Plymouth, Thursday and Saturday

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page