^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials

Continued from the previous page:


At the end of his report, Dr Sadler summed up the mountain which Jessie Headridge and her staff still had to climb:

1. The school suffered from lack of funds. The fees should be raised immediately and grants sought out to plug the financial gaps in funding so that better salaries could be offered to suitably qualified teachers.


2. The school was deficient in graduate teachers who could give meaningful instruction to older pupils. If this was corrected then parents should be encouraged to send their girls earlier and allow them to remain longer so that continuous education could take place from the ages of 12 to 16.


3. The school urgently needed a laboratory and at least three additional classrooms. If this happened, then the hall upstairs could be used to add gymnastics to the curriculum - healthy exercise being essential for the welfare of the girls when there was so little recreational land attached to the school.


4. The school was reminded that it had a duty to teach something which Dr Sadler referred to as Household Management and the Laws of Hygiene - a forerunner of Domestic Science; eventually the governors would have to provide accommodation for that purpose.

That was the challenge laid down - and that was the challenge taken up:


The Episcopal School in 1908

The Episcopal School opened its first extension in 1908

New classrooms, a laboratory and a staff room projected into the playground at the rear of the left hand side of the original building forming an L shape. 


The second extension of the Episcopal School which opened in 1921

Another extension to the Episcopal School was opened in 1911

New accommodation for the Kindergarten and an art room were added to the right hand side of the original building. At the same time, two more laboratories and a cookery room which doubled as a dining hall were added to the 1908 extension.


After Jessie Headridge retired, more building took place in the mid-1930s . A Gymnasium, complete with shower block, continued to the left  of the original building; above it was a new library and classroom accommodation. 


This was followed by the construction behind the original building  of what was known as  JUNIOR HOUSE. It separated the very youngest children completely from the main school and housed the Kindergarten and Preparatory classes downstairs and Forms IA and IB upstairs. It had its own cloakrooms but the children (aged from 3 to 7) still took part in daily assemblies over in the hall - wearing house shoes, walking to and fro in single file and complete silence in the best traditions of the school.





^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page