From the 1923 Edition of Kelly's Directory of Devonshire
HELE'S ENDOWED SCHOOL, HELE ROAD, ST.DAVID'S, EXETER
"This school, opened January 15th 1850, is partially supported by funds derived from the rents and profits of large estates, formerly the property of Elize Hele Esq, who, in 1632, conveyed his lands to Sir J. Maynard & others as trustees. to appropriate them to "some godly purposes and charitable uses."
A portion only was appropriated in 1656 by the trustees for the foundation of the Blue Maid's Hospital and for nearly 200 years, the immediate descendants of Sir J. Maynard received the unappropriated income and distributed it in private charities as they thought fit, without being accountable in any manner, for its application: proceedings in Chancery resulted in depriving the descendant of Sir J. Maynard (the surviving trustee) of all control over the funds, which were thereupon vested in the Crown.
The Government, on being petitioned, made to the inhabitants of Exeter, certain grants. Of these, only that of £1500 for the building of a boys' school (now Hele's Endowed School) and £300 a year for its continual maintenance, came into operation. Attached to the school are five exhibitions of £20 each.
In 1909, the buildings were enlarged at a cost of £10,000, and now comprises class-rooms, laboratory, assembly hall and gymnasium. The school is recognised as a secondary school by the Board of Education and since 1921, has been maintained by Exeter City Council. There are now about 400 boys. The current headmaster is Frederick George Snowball M.A."