^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

 

FENITON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Feniton Court, formerly the home of the Westaway Family.

Feniton Court, a beautiful listed building, once the home of the Westaway family

Courtesy of Feniton Court Estate

 

Feniton, or Fenyton, a small village in the Otter Valley, four miles W.S.W of Honiton and N by E of Ottery St Mary, has in its parish 315 souls and 1822 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Corscombe and Colestock. The manor was anciently held by the Malherbe family, who were seated here for 13 generations and had the power of beheading criminals.It now belongs to many freeholders, the largest of whom are Sir John Patteson, (who has a handsome seat here), Sir J, Jennaway, J.P. Matthews Esq, Mr W. Porter and Miss Wright.

The church (St Andrew) is a plain structure with a tower and five bells. The rectory is in the alternate patronage of S. C. Flood, G. B. Northcote and Mr Woolley and is in the incumnbency of the Rev. H. E. Head MA who has a good residence and 74 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £288 per annum.

The poor have 4½ acres of land, purchased with benefaction money in 1717 and 1737 and now let for £8. The church land is let for £2.

 

RESIDENTS

Mary Carslake - National School

Henry Darke, shoemaker and victualler, the Feniton Inn

Richard Fry, mason

Rev. Henry Head MA, The Rectory

Edward Marks, parish clerk and Postmaster

Jane and Mary Ann Murray, Boarding School

Hon. Sir John Patteson, Judge of the Queen's Bench, Feniton Court

John Perry, Shopkeeper

William Sanders, blacksmiths

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page