^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

FRITHELSTOCK IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Frithelstock, a village and parish 2 miles W of Great Torrington, comprises 705 souls and 2380 acres of land, including the hamlets of Frthelstock Stone and Milford. There was a a small Priory of Augustin Canons here, founded by Sir Roger Beauchamp in the reign of Henry III. It was valued at the dissolution of £127 per annum and was granted to Viscount Lisle.

The estate now belongs to Lord Clinton, but the Rev. P. Thomas is lord of the manor and Mrs. Stevens and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The church (St. Mary and St. Gregory) is an ancient structure and the living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of Mrs P. Johns and the incumbency of the Rev. G. W. T Carwithen MA. Part of the Priory Church, with lancet shaped windows, still remains.

The poor man's land comprises 8 acres and a right of common over 200 acres of waste. The poor have an interest of £32 and the parish has a yearly rent-charge of 50 shilling left by Mary Melhuish in 1794 for schooling poor children.

 

RESIDENTS

Joseph Beer, shopkeeper

Rev. George William T. Carwithen, incumbent

John Durant, corn miller

Earl, Mr. , Green Cottage

Friendship, John, Wheelwright

Lee. James, victualler, New Inn

Morris, John, blacksmith

Perkin, Samuel and Benjamin, shoemakers

Sandford, George, victualler, Clinton Arms

Short, Thomas, tailor

FARMERS

Giles and James Ball

William Bartlett

John Beer

Danniel Curry

William Dark

Robert Dullam

William Dullam

John Fisher

Samuel Frain

Samuel Freeman

Joseph Mann

Hannah Moase

James Moase

Sarah Norman

Joseph Parsons

George Perkins

John Phillips

Christopher Shopland

William Smale

James Snell

William Squire

George Walters

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page