South Huish is a parish of scattered houses from 4 to 5 miles SW of Kiongsbridge, and has 368 souls and approximately 1150 acres of land bounded by the beach of Bigbury Bay. It includes the hamlets of Silverhill, Gampton and Hope Cove, the latter of which is a fishing village where lodgings are about to be erected for the accommodation of sea bathers, by the Earl of Devon, who owns most of the parish and is lord of the manors.
The church stands in a deep valley and is an ancient edifice with a tower and five bells. At Galmpton is a small chapel and school belonging to the Plymouth Brethren*
*The Plymouth Brethren are sometimes known as the Exclusive Brethren and date from the early years of the 19th Century. Their beliefs are centred around literal interpretations of the Bible irrespective of modern practice.