^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

GEORGE NYMPTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

Nympton St. George (or Nymet St George) commonly called George Nympton , is a pleasant village, in the valley of the river Mole, 2½ miles S by W of South Molton, and has in its parish 272 souls and 1684 acres of land. Sir Thomas Dyke  Acland is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Nymet and Hache families. J. G. Pearse Esq has an estate here and a pleasant seat called Broom House, belonging formerly to the Hale and Gay families  The Rev. W P Thomas, Mrs Nott James Tanner Esq and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish.

 

The Church (St. George) is a neat structure in the perpendicular style, with a brick tower and three bells. It was repaired in 1848. The Rectory is in the patronage of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, and incumbency of the Rev. William Fortescue, who resides in Somerset. The Rectory House is a good thatched residence in the Elizabethan style.

 

The interior of St George's church

The interior of St George's Church in 2008

©Richard J. Brine

 

RESIDENTS

Thomas Baker, victualler Castle Inn

Rev. George James Gould BA, Curate and Incumbent of Mariansleigh

Elizabeth Harris, schoolmistress

John Gilbert Pearse, Esq, solicitor, Broom House

John Ridd, shopkeeper

William Ridd, wheelwright

James Westcott, cooper

John Westcott, sexton

John Wotton, parish clerk and thatcher

BLACKSMITHS

John Jarman

James Dockings

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

William May

James Mills

BUTCHERS

Robert Bawden

John Hitchcock

FARMERS

John Baker

Robert Bawden

Samuel Dunn

Richard Hancock

Geirge Huxtable

Joseph Kingdon

George Ley

James Ley

William Reed

William Russell

John Smith

John Webber

TAILORS

John Dadds

George Notts

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page