Georgeham, a small straggling village in a valley, 8 miles WSW of Barnstaple, has in its parish, 923 souls and 4650 acres of land, extending westward to Croyde and Morte Bays, and th long narrow promontory called Baggy Point, where the rocky cliffs rise boldly from the Bristol Channel.
Most of the parishioners are in the villages and hamlets of Croyde, North Buckland, Durracot and Puttsborough. Croyde is a pleasant sea bathing place, with a fine bay and much romantic scenery in its vicinity. The manor of Georgeham was anciently the seat and property of the knightly family of Pickwell, and now belongs to Earl Fortescue.
C. H. Webber Esq. is lord of the manor of Croyde or Crede; but a great part of the parish belongs to John Dunning, W. V. Richards of Incledon House. The Rev. F. Hole and a number of smaller owners, mostly free and partly leaseholders.
The church (St George) is a fine antique Structure and among the monouments is the tomb of a crusader, supposed to be that of Sir Manger St. Albyn. In the churchyard are buried Simon Gould and his wife Julianne who died in March 1817, each in their 101st year of their age having been married upwards of 75 years. The rectory is in the patronage of William Hole Esq and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Hole, who has a handsome residence and 35 acres of glebe. A charitable bequest was made in 1779 to pay for two schoolmistresses at Georgeham and Croyde.