^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

GITTISHAM IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

The Elizabethan Manor House in Galmpton

Gittisham's beautiful Elizabethan Manor - Combe House

©Richard J. Brine

 

Gittisham is a small straggling village on a picturesque declivity, near the source of the river Sid, about 3 miles from Ottery St Mary and Honiton and 14 miles E.N.E. of Exeter, and has in its parish 376 souls and 2067 acres of land, rising in bold hills from the Otter and Sid valleys.

 

The knightly family of De Lumine held the manor in the reign of Henry II and it afterwards passed to the Willingtons, Beaumont and the Putts. It passed from the late Rev. Thomas Putt to the Rev. Henry William Marker, the present lord of the manor, and owner of most of the parish, who has a  pleasant seat here called Combe House, a large stone mansion in the Elizabethan style, standing  on a commanding eminence in a well wooded park, overlooking the Otter valley.

 

Thomas Putt, who resided here, was created a baronet in 1666, but his son dying without issue in 1727, the title became extinct. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and contains some fine monuments belonging to the Beaumont and Putt families. One of them has kneeling effigies and is in memory of Henry Beaumont who died in 1591.

 

The rectory is in the patronage of the Rev. H. W. Marker and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas John Marker MA, who has a large residence with pleasant grounds and 47 acres of glebe. Beaumont's Charity for the poor of the parish was derived from a legacy of £800 left by Henry Beaumont Esq in 1590 and now comprises several tenements and 166 acres of land, let for about £144 per annum and including Wampford farm and mills at King's Nympton.  The net income is applied in weekly payments to those poor parishioners who are not receiving parochial relief. For teaching 20 poor children, the teacher of the Parish School has £10 a year out of an estate here, left by Sir Thomas Putt in 1686.

 

RESIDENTS

John Badcocke, victualler, the Nag's Head

John Edward Clare, gent. Eveleigh Cottage

John Dimond, tallow chandler

Hayman, William, blacksmith

Knight. Mrs. schoolmistress

Marker, Rev. Henry William, BA. Combe House

Marker, Rev. Thomas John. MA. rector of Gittisham and Farway

Pring, James, shoemaker

Putt, Miss Amelia, Pomeroy

Sellars, William, parish clerk

FARMERS

John Ashford

John Darby

William Isaacs

Abraham Madge

John Madge, Curlditch

Anm North

Mary Prouse

John Scovern

John Tucker

Henry Tucker, Westcot

George Turner

John Walkem

Thomas White

John  Wilmingham Junior

Robert Wilmingham

WHEELWRIGHTS

John Pile

John Tucker

John Tucker Junior

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page