HAWKCHURCH is a village about 4 miles SSW from Chard and 5 miles N from Axminster. The church is dedicated to St Andrew, the living of which is a vicarage. A new church, dedicated to All Saints has also recently been erected. The parish with the hamlets of Alson and Crowley, comprises about 5500 acres and had, in 1841, a population of 1405.
Post office at John Woodmelish's. Letters arrive at 10 am and are despatched at 3pm.