^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

HENNOCK IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Hennock, a small village, on an eminence overlooking the Teign valley, 3 miles WNW of Chudleigh, has in its parish 828 inhabitants, and 3460 acres of land, including the hamlet of Knighton, or Chudleigh Knighton, which has 234 inhabitants, and is a small village in the valley, 2 miles SW of Chudleigh. The parish also includes Warmhill and many scattered houses, and abounds in tin and iron ore, which is about to be worked  by the "Hennock Iron-Steel and Tin Mininf Company" recently established on the "cost-book principle" with a capital of £9450, in 4500 shares of £2 2s each. Messrs Kennaway and Buckingham, of Exeter, are solicitors to this company.  Lead and copper are also found here; and the mines have had their meritys tested to an extent that fully establishes their capabilities for affording a high remunerative profit. \pipe and potter's clay is found at Knighton.

 

St Mary's church, Hennock

St Mary's, Hennock

The Teign valley lies beyond

 

The parish is mostly in the same manors as Bovey Tracey, but the soil is chiefly freehold, belonging to Sir L. V. Palk, Lord Exmouth, the Duke of Somerset, William Harris, John Caunter, C. Winstanley and A Chichester Esqs. and several smaller owners.

The church (St Mary) is a large ancient edifice, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and four bells. Its ancient Norman font and the stoup in the porch still remain; and in its fine windows are some fragments of stained glass. The vicarage is in the patronage of J. Mason Esq. and in the incumbency of the Rev. William Woolcombe of Christow. The parsonage is a good residence and the glebe is 20 acres. Knighton Chapel of Ease is a neat structure of flint and limestone in the early English style, built by subscriptiom and grants in 1841/42 at the cost of £900 and endowed with £1000.

 

RESIDENTS

Arthur Chichester, Stocklake

James Cooch, Victualler, The Anchor, Knighton

Rev. Benjamin Joseph Drury,Curate,  The Vicarage, Kinghton

Miss Flood, schoolmistress

Charles Hives, Esq, Pitt House

James Loveys, victualler, The Union Inn

William Loveys, victualler, Palk Arms

Charles Palmer, mason

William Stone, miller, Pool Mill

William G. Taylor Esq. Beals

Miss Charlotte Warren, Hazlewood

BLACKSMITHS

 Thoms Mann

George Smallridge

BOOT AND SHOE MANUFACTURERS

William Land

George Williams

CARPENTERS

John Loveys

James Loveys

Samuel Loveys

FARMERS

Nicholas Ball

William Ball

Jane Barber

George Bishop

John Brock

Joseph Cox

Charles Edwards

Francis J Davy (also  Clay Merchant)

William Harris

Rose Hill

John Langdon

Mark Northcott

William Norsworthy

George Perryman

James Pitt

William Short

James Soper

William Stanmbury

Philip Stone

James H Toswill

Thomas Tucker

William Vooght

James Wills

James Winsor

SHOPKEEPERS

W, Petherbridge

George Williams

TAILORS

Hanry Cator (also a baker)

Thomas Hole.

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page