^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials





High Bray is a parish and village on the eastern acclivity of the valley of the river Bray, which is here crossed by a bridge of one arch, 5 miles north from Filleigh Station  on the Somerset and Devon branch of the Great Western Railway, 7 miles north-west of South Molton and 10 east from Barnstaple division of the county, Shirwell hundred, Braunton petty sessional division, Barnstaple  rural district, rural deanery of Shirwell, archdeaconry of Barnstaple  and diocese of Exeter.

The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, a new treble bell was added in 1892 and another in 1895, subscribed for by the parishionaers; the font is very ancient  and there is an external sedile. The church was restored  in 1873 at a cost of £1000 and affords 180 sittings. The register dates from 1605. The living is a rectory and is in the gift of the Right Hon, Sir francis Dyke Acland, bart and has been held since 1937 by the Rev. George Howard Hackett A.K.C.L

Sir Francis is Lord of the Manor. The soil is loamy; subsoil is skillet rock. The chief crops are oats, roots and some pasturage. The area is 4006 acres of land and 7 of water. The population in 1931 was 185 in  the ecclesiastical parish and 175 in the civil. There is a Post and Telegraph Office office at Brayford.



Rev. George Hayward Hackett

Caleb Dennis, farmer, South Whitefield

John Gamin, farmer, Braytown Farm

Mark Gay, farmer, Natsley

John Heggadon, farmer, High Hall

J. Moore, farmer, Rockshead

Richard Parminster, farmer Fullaford

Kenneth Prideaux, farmer

George Radley, farmer, Ovis

Oliver Robins, farmer, Lydcott Hall

Tom Robins farmer, South Lydcott

William Robins, farmer, Gratton Barton

W. Smith, farmer, Southbray Mill

Frederick Thomas farmer, North Whitefield

John Thorne, farmer, Kedworthy

James Tucker & Sons, farmers, Muxworthy

J.Venn, carpenter



^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page