|HOLBETON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850
Flete House, Holbeton
©Audley Retirement Homes
Holbeton, a large straggling village on an eminence, west of the Erme estuary and four mile SW by W of Modbury, has in its parish 1120 souls and 4623 acres of land, extending to Bigbury Bay and including the hamlets of Mothecombe, Creacombe and Ford, and many scattered farmhouses etc.
Lime is burnt here and barges of 70 tons come up the estuary. Lady Elizabeth Bulteel (daughter of Earl Grey, and relict of the late J.C. Bulteel Esq.) is lady of the Manor, and has a large and elegant mansion here called Flete House, which was long the seat of the ancient family of Hele, one of whom was created a baronet in 1627. The branch of the family became extinct in 1716 when the estate passed to the Bulteels. The mansion was built in the reign of Elizabeth, but its two principal fronts were altered in the castellated style about 14 years ago, by the late J. C. Bulteel, Esq, who made other extensive improvements, one of which is a large and splendid picture gallery, well stored with the works of ancient and modern artists. Membland Hall, the seat of Robert Robertson Esq., formerly belonged to the Rev. Sir Philip Perring Bart. and was the occasional residence of his family, one of whom, Sir John Perring was Lord Mayor of London in 1803 and was created a baronet in 1808. His uncle purchased the estate of the Bulteels and rebuilt the house. Richard Holland Esq, the Rev. W. J. Pinwill and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
The church (All Saints) is a large and handsome cruciform structure, with a tower containing six bells and crowned by a spire. It is mostly in the perpendicular style and in the south aisle is a canopied monument with a recumbent effigy of one of the Heles and several kneeling figures. The vicarage is in the patronage of the Crown and incumbency of the Rev. Courtenay Bulteel, who has over 3 acres of glebe and an ancient residence.
The rent of an acre of land and a yearly rent-charge of 18s are applied in repairing the church. Here are two small chapels belonging to the Independents and Wesleyans; and a school supported by Lady Bulteel.
Axworthy, Mrs, miller, Pool Mills
Bignell Captain Richard, Roe, Carswell
Bulteel, Lady Elizabeth, Flete House
Bultell, Rev. Courtenay, vicar
Burrow, John Charles, Esq. Efford
Crimp, William, butcher
Lapthorn e, Robert, wheelwright
Rabbich, Thomas, victualler George Inn
Robertson, Robert, Esq. Membland Hall
Sandover, Philip, butcher
Shepheard, Robert, thatcher
Wyatt, Benjamin, victualler, Union Inn
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Roe, Henry William