^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

HOLNE IN  WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

`

Holne, a small village on and eminences, on the south-western side of the Dart Valley, 3 1/2 miles west of Ashburton, has in its parish 394  souls, and about 5000 acres of land, but only about 2300 acres are cultivated, and the rest consists of about 500 acres of wood and 2200 acres of moor land, in Holne Chase, which extends about 2 miles into Dartmoor Forest, amidst some of the most magnificent scenery in Devon, where the Dart is seen foaming over its rocky bed, between steep and shelving banks, and lofty woody hills.

Sir B. P. Wrey, Bt., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the  Audleys and Bourchiers, and has a hunting seat here, called Holne Chase House in a singularly romantic situation. He owns most of the parish, which includes the hamlets of Michelcombe and Stoke and a number of scattered farms; and the hunting boxes called HolnePark and Holne cottage. George Jarvis, Thomas Hamlin and George Stranger, and a few others have small freeholds here.

 

The church was built in the 13th century and has an embattled tower and five bells. It was renovated and beautified in 1849 and has a handsome pulpit and screen. The vicarage, is valued in the King's Book at eight pounds, five shillings, and in 1831, at £195, is in the patronage of the Rev Samuel Lane, and incumbency of the Rev John Dolbeare Parham MA for whom The Rev Samuel Hullah officiates. The vicarage house is a neat residence and the glebe is 20 acres. The church house is let for only 23 shillings. The poor have a small old house and the dividends of £100 Navy 5%ss, given by the Rev John Charter in 1821. Reverend Robert Bradford left £40 a year for the poor, half to be given in money, and half in bibles. Here is a National School established in 1835.

 

Scene taken from the winodw of Holme Cottage

Etched by F. C. Lewis in 1820 from a window in Holne Cottage (see below) which overlooked the river Dart

 

RESIDENTS

John Andrews, Shoemaker

John Barnes, Carpenter.

Daniel Easterbrooke, Carpenter and Vicualler, Tavistock Arms

Rev Thomas Hullah, the Vicarage.

John Kendall, Esq. Holne Cottage.

And Lilian Craft, schoolmistress.

Benjamin Norris, Taylor.

William Pierce, blacksmith.

John Prowse, blacksmith and shopkeeper.

Scott, ? Esq Holne Park

South Plain Wood copper and tinmine, H Caunter, manager.

James Tozer, Shoemaker

Stephen Townsend, Carpenter

Wrey, Sir Bourchier Palk, Chase House

FARMERS

Richard Angell, Holme.

John Barter, Middlestock

George Barter, Michel Coombe

James Beard, Yonder Stocks

James Channing, Park Farm

John Ford, Chase,

Thomas Hamlin,

Robert Holditch

Peter Mann, Compton

Thomas Pearse. Michel Coombe

John Petherbridge, Stuttaford

Christopher Shapland, Staddicombe

William Skinner

George Stranger, Michel Coombe

James Tolchard

John Toll

Thomas Waycott

William Widdicombe

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page