^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

HUNTSHAM  IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

All Saints Church, Huntsham

All Saints Church, Huntsham

© Richard J. Brine

 

HUNTSHAM, a parish of scattered houses, 5 miles N.N.E. of Tiverton, has only 157 souls and 2930 acres of land. The Rev. E.B. Troyte, LL.D., is lord of the manor, owner of a great part of the soil, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 12s. 11d., and in 1831 at £260. He has a pleasant seat here called Huntsham House, and 49A. 2R. 14P. of glebe; but the Parsonage is in a decayed condition. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £187 per annum. The manor was formerly held by the Stanton, Dunsland, Beare, and Lucas families, the latter of whom sold it to the Troytes. The Church is an ancient ivy mantled structure, with a tower and three bells. It has a fine old screen, and the seats have all variously carved ends, and bear the date, 1534.

 

RESIDENTS

Robert Burton, wheelwright

James Kerslake, shoemaker

John Poysay, blacksmith

Henry Redwood, corn miller

Seymour, Rev.F.P, Curate

Troyte, Rev.Edward Berkeley, LL.D

FARMERS

Thomas Frost

Mildred Heard

Richard Light

Thomas Oxenham

William Shattock

Edward Shattock

Robert Slape

William Stone, Huntsham Barton

William Tapscott

William White

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page