Ipplepen is a village and a parish, 3 miles west-by-south from Kingskerswell on the Torquay branch of the South Devon (Great Western) railway, 3 miles south-by-west from Newton Abbot and 5 miles north-north-east from Totnes, in the Mid division of the county, the hundred of Haytor, petty sessional division of Teignbridge, union of Newton Abbot and Torquay, rural deanery of Ipplepen, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter. The village is supplied with water by the Paignton Urban District Council.
The church of St. Andrew is a large and ancient fabric of stone in the perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of six arches, south porch and a massive embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which the first four date from 1795 and 1818: the aisles have embattled parapets and a small tower at each angle: the three chancel windows have been filled with stained glass, the east being a memorial to members of the Rayne family, and the north and south to the Robinson family. There is an ancient rood screen of exquisite design, beautifully restored at a cost of £500 in 1898, and two parclose (screens): the rood loft stairs also remain, and a pulpit of richly-carved oak: the chancel retains a piscina and aumbry or cupboard, and a stoup remains in the porch: the font is Early Perpendicular, and has a panelled basin with carved figures: there are many mural monuments to members of the Studdy, Shepherd, Neyle and Raynes families: in 1883 a new organ was placed in an organ loft then erected, at a cost of £200, the western gallery being removed: the church was partially restored in 1892 at a cost of £1000, raised by subscription: the communion plate includes a chalice, supposed to be coeval with the erection of the church: there are 340 sittings. The churchyard is entered through east and west lych gates, and facing the south door of the church is a massive cross on a granite pedestal, restored in 1902 and a memorial to men from this parish who fell in the Boer War, 1899 - 1902.
The register dates from the year 1558, and a list of vicars from the year 1274. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Robert Duins Cooke B.A, of St. John's College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Ipplepen.
The Wesleyan Chapel, erected with adjoining schools, in 1866, at a cost of £2000, is a building of limestone, with Bath stone dressings, in the early English style, and has sittings for 600 persons. The poor here have about £16 distributed yearly from endowed charities.
Here are limestone quarries, the property of the Great Western Railway. Lime burning and quarrying is carried on here by the Stoneycombe Lime and Stone Company Limited.
This parish was formerly the site of a Benedictine Priory, a cell of St. Peter of Fougères. The priory, the residence of William Codner Henley esq. is said to incorporate a part of the original buildings of the ancient priory, but with several modern additions, and the whole forms a commodious mansion, standing in about 720 acres of garden and meadowland. There are no manorial rights, the land being all freehold. The chief landowners are Charles Hellyer esq. and W. C. Henley esq.
The soil is fine loam and clay; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. the parish contains 2,887 acres of good land; rateable value £8843; the population in 1911 was 753, in the civil and 768 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By Local Government order 16370, which came into operation March 24th 1884, Aptor farm and cottages were transferred from this Parish to Marldon in Totnes Union; and by Order 16367, march 25th 1885, Bremridge was added to Torbryan for civil purposes.
DAIGNTON is a hamlet, 1 mile east from this village.
COMBE FISHACRE is a hamlet, 1½ miles south-east. Combe Fishacre house, now (1914) unoccupied, is a pleasantly situated house, standing in a park and gardens of about 6 acres.
CASTLEFORD hamlet adjoins Combe Fishacre on the west.
WOODLAND, formerly a chapelry of Ipplepen, but now an ecclesiastical parish, will be found under a separate heading.
Parish Clerk: James S. Hodge
Post, Money Order, Telegraph and Telephone call Office: Samuel Bovey - sub-postmaster. Letters received from Newton Abbot at 7 am and 6 pm; Sundays 7 am; dispatched at 1.335 and 6. 45 pm; Sundays at 10.40 am.
Wall letter boxes: Park Hill, cleared 1.50 and 5.30 pm; Sundays 10.55am; Combe Fishacre: cleared 9 am and 5.30 pm; Sundays 9.am.
County Police: Frances Rockey, constable.
Public Elementary School (mixed): built in 1866 for 140 children; average attendance 110: Robert Edwin Jago, master; Miss Elizabeth Townsend and Miss Ethel Bridge, mistresses.
Carrier to Newton Abbot - Albert Luscombe, Wednesdays and Saturdays.