^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

KENN IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"KENN, or Kenne, is a long village, including Kennford, pleasantly situated in a picturesque valley on the banks of a rivulet, four miles S. by E. of Exeter. It gives its name to a deanery, and its parish contains 1078 inhabitants and 5316A. of land, rising in a bold range of hills on the south-west side of the valley, where there are the handsome seats  of Haldon, Woodlands, and Trehill, commanding fine views over the vale of the Exe.

 

Kennford had a grant of a market and Fair in 1299 but both have been for some centuries. obsolete The manor of Kenn, formerly held by the Courtenay, Oxenham, Acland, and other families, was purchased about 30 years ago, by Sir L.V. Palk, Bart., of HALDON HOUSE, a large and handsome stuccoed mansion in a finely wooded park, on a commanding eminence, upon the summit of which are a number of barrows  or tumuli, in which urns  and Roman coins have been found. Thi mansion was built in 1735 by Sir George Chudleigh, Bart and was purchased in 1769 by the late Sir Robert Palk who was created a baronet in 1782 and greatly improved  the house and grounds. The house contains an extensive library and a fine collection of paintings, and commands delightful views. The ornamental grounds are extensive and the plantataions which crown the summits of the hills cover many acres.

 

Haldon House
Haldon House now known as Haldon House Hotel

 

Behind the house, on the centre of Pen hill rises a castellated building of three stories, called the Belvidere, or Lawrence Castle, erected by the late Sir Robert Palk, in memory of his friend General Lawrence, whose statue, large as life, on a pedestal of black marble, ornaments the entrance. 

 

The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large ancient structure, with a tower and six bells, and has several neat monuments. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £46. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £778, is in the patronage of J.H. Ley, Esq., and the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Ley, B.A., who has a good residence, and 197A. 2R. 23P. of glebe.

RESIDENTS OF KENN

BLACKSMITHS

John Eddy

Sarah Job

Henry Mallett

Henry Warren, also Wheelwright

John Wilcocks

BOOT AND SHOEMAKERS

John Wills

William Wills

BUTCHERS

Benjamin Lear

Nicholas Smith

FARMERS

John Anstey

William Badcock

George Brook

James Cornish

Mary Ann Cornish

William Dewdney

John Lear

William Lovesey

William Page

George Palk, Haldon

Frederick Pitts

Thomas Pitts

John Rowe, Carswell

John Snow

George Tapper

Nancy Walters

GARDENERS

William Powell

Thomas Tolman

SHOPKEEPERS

William Brenton

Mary Cousins

Sarah Job

TAILORS

William Down

Daniel Holman

Joseph Reed

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page