^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

 

KILMINGTON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Coryton House in the early 19th century

Coriton Park, Kilmington in the early years of the 19th century

Built in 1754-6 for Benedictus Marwood Tucker, sheriff of Devon in 1763. This later became the seat of the Tucker family. Now  the house has been partly demolished and only a single wing remains.

Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

Kilmington, a village and parish in the western acclivities of Axe Valley, 2 miles W by S of Axminster, has 495 souls and 1763 acres of land. It has a cattle fair on the first Wednesday in September. William Tucker owns a great part of the parish and has a pleasant seat here called Coryton Park, which was rebuilt by his father in 1756.

 

The church (St. Giles) is in the perpendicular style and has a tower and five bells. The living is a curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Axminster to which Kilmington is a parochial chapelry.

Kilmington has the right to send two children to the charity school at Axminster. The Baptists have a small chapel here.

 

RESIDENTS

John Chapple, victualler, the Old Inn

William Collins, blacksmith

James French, grocer and baker

Joseph Newberry, plumber and glazier

James Phippen, grocer and draper

Rev. H. B. Sands, curate

William Shell, farmer, Old Coryton

Rev. John Stenbridge (Baptist)

Benjamin and George Thorn, farmers

William Tucker Esq. Coryton Park

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page